How To Register

Continuing the discussion from Meditation Retreats Pre-req, MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine:

Hi Eowyn:
The practicum link does not offer the July 2016 training in its menu options. How would I register for this course? Please help. I can only take courses in the U.S. during the summer months.

Thank you.
Take care,
Jayne Davis

Hello, Jayne,

We post registration details for each of our trainings as soon as all of the business details are settled. This takes varying amounts of time, with the various host sites. We ask you to check back on the website from time to time at this stage:

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/schedule-at-a-glance/

Thank you for your patience.

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Thank you so much for your reply. There is a lot of planning indeed; I completely understand. I guess I just did not want to miss out on an opportunity. I have such a limited time frame to work with.

I will keep checking back on the website.

Take care,
Jayne

2 Likes

Hi Eowyn,
Thank you for helping all of us understand this process on our path of becoming MBSR teachers. It can be confusing and seem a bit daunting without the correct knowledge. With that, I have a few questions…
You mention to begin teaching we need to complete: 8-week MBSR as a participant, 2 silent retreats, 9 -day practicum and TDI. But what about the 7-day Mind-Body? Is that optional?
Also, I noticed the only dates in 2016 the 9-day practicum & 7-day Mind-Body are offered in the Northeast are both next Summer at Omega. Can I take the 7-day Mind-Body in June FIRST and then take the 9-Day Practicum in July? And when can I apply to take those?
One last question, if I wanted to take the 9-Day practicum offered this January, would I be able to do that if the 5-day silent retreat I have signed up for isn’t until February?
Thank you for taking your time to answer all of this.
Jessica in Summit, NJ

I’m going to take your questions one at a time below, Jessica, with my responses in italics, like this, and **your questions in bold, like this,**to make them easy to distinguish.

You mention to begin teaching we need to complete: 8-week MBSR as a participant, 2 silent retreats, 9 -day practicum and TDI. But what about the 7-day Mind-Body? Is that optional?

The 7-day Mind-Body course is required for certification. The timing of it, however, is somewhat flexible. We encourage trainees to take it before the Practicum, but sometimes with the way our annual schedules unfold that doesn’t work out, in which case, it is ok to take the 7-day after the Practicum. Main point here is: to submit your teacher certification review, you must have completed the 7-day. It is required.

I noticed the only dates in 2016 the 9-day practicum & 7-day Mind-Body are offered in the Northeast are both next Summer at Omega. Can I take the 7-day Mind-Body in June FIRST and then take the 9-Day Practicum in July? And when can I apply to take those?

This is a fine example of what I mentioned above about scheduling. Sounds like, in this case, it make senses for you to take the 7-day first, which is what we recommend when possible, anyway.

As for when to apply, if you are on our mailing list, you’ll get notifications when courses open. We have to open them on a rolling basis, because we get so many applications we can’t handle them all at once!

One last question, if I wanted to take the 9-Day practicum offered this January, would I be able to do that if the 5-day silent retreat I have signed up for isn’t until February?

The first silent meditation retreat is a prerequisite to entering Oasis training, so no. The reasoning here is that we at the CFM consider silent meditation retreat experience a necessary precursor to training to teach MBSR. So, the requirement is to attend at least one retreat before attending your first Oasis training. And, although it is not required, in my opinion, it’s really wise to attend several retreats before teacher training. It helps one understand one’s own mind more fully.

Hope this is helpful,
Eowyn

Hi Eowyn,
Thank you for your detailed reply. It was so helpful. One last question… If I sign up now for the 5 day Mindful Tools at Omega (July 17-22 2016), what happens when I apply for the 9-day Practicum at Omega (July 17-26) since I will already be registered and paid for the first 5 days of Mindfulness Tools?
My intention is to take the 9-day Practicum at Omega in July 2016, but I heard it’s so difficult to get in, so I at least want to be registered for Mindfulness Tools. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks so much!
Jessica :)

One last thing… Does the whole 9 day Practicum have to be taken as a “residential” course- meaning we must sleep at the place that’s hosting it (Omega or the Sheraton in Ft Lauderdale)? Or if we live close, can we stay at home and attend the workshops each day? It seems like Mindfulness Tools might require us to actually stay at the hosting organization. And if so, can we just do those 5 days as a residential, then the remaining 4 days of the Practicum staying elsewhere?
Thanks!

That is a question for the hosting organization, I believe, Jessica. It may be different at Omega than in FL, for example.

Glad the info was clarifying. It is just as you say. If you sign up for the Tools section, at least you will be in that course, whether or not you qualify for and attend that Practicum.

Hi Eowyn,

Still not exactly clear… If I register and pay today for the 5-Day Mindfulness Tools at Omega in July 17-22 2016 (registration is open now), then also apply for the July 17-26 9-Day Practicum at Omega when that application opens, how does that work with the payment since I’ll have already paid for Mindfulness Tools part of it.? What if I don’t get accepted into the Practicum? Will the MindfulnessTools I take this year apply towards the next Practicum I get accepted into? Are we able to take those 4 days separately?

Also, When will applications open for the 9-Day Practicum in Ft Lauderdale, FL (April 3-12 2016) AND for the 9-Day Practicum in July 17-26 at Omega?

And since you will have more applications than open spots, how can we ensure a space? Assuming all prerequisites are met, is it first come (in order of when you receive applications) or do you select based on application essays and experience? If I’m not accepted, how do I get on a wait list?

Thanks for helping with all of this!