Always A Choice; Never in Control

This week’s post comes from Éowyn Ahlstrom, wishing everyone a compassionate New Year!

Recently, I spent some time in silent retreat and, as is often the case for me, came away with a phrase that encapsulates the theme life seemed to be teaching me there.

“Always a choice; never in control,” are the words ringing in mind.

Perhaps vignettes of a couple of the moments that sparked the slogan will bring its meaning across more fully. Take, for example, what I recall as the first time the phrase arose in my mind:

I was standing quietly in line waiting to wash-up my dishes after breakfast when I began noticing feelings of impatience. It was sensed in my legs first, like an urge to jump up off the floor. I realized that I wanted the people in front of me to move faster so I could get my dishes done sooner, even though I had no special place to go, nothing else I needed to do. As I stood there, aware of the unpleasantness of the experiences of impatience, I also noticed that I didn’t have control over the speed or actions of the other people. At the same time, it was clear that I did have the choice to drop the impatience, now that it had been recognized. So, I settled into simply standing there, aware of my breathing and the environment around me, until my turn came. Then I gave attention fully to washing my breakfast dishes. All the while, I continued noticing the signs of impatience. First, it was diluted into that larger field of awareness. Slowly, it dissipated and then entirely disappeared. A sweet sense of relief spread through my systems, like the soapy water and dishes being cleaned.

Here’s another example, this one a bit closer to the bone.

Often, sitting in the meditation hall is an experience I deeply enjoy. Peacefulness and ease of heart, mind and body arise. It doesn’t always happen that way though. One day, sitting quietly, practicing mindfulness of breathing, I heard a mean old voice in my head, telling me, “you’re no good at this and never will be.” It was kind of shocking, actually, and it really hurt! I guess I thought after all these years I might have gotten past it, but there it was again, unbidden and unwanted. As those silent words and the accompanying painful feelings appeared, it was sparklingly clear to me that I am not actually in control of my own thoughts! I can’t really banish them, will them away, or even effectively deny them for long. It was also powerfully apparent that, when attention is stable in the present, I have a choice in how I respond to such arisings. How important those responses are! Instead of adding fuel to that old self-diminishment habit, it was possible to relax, not take it personally, and give care to that voice inside. “Sweetheart,” I replied to my own mind, “It’s okay. You are okay.” Compassion poured like a soothing tonic into my heart.

Who knows what may come up in any moment, from the world or from within. We really aren’t in control here. And, in practice we really do have choices. I would love to hear what surprises life is sending you lately, and how your choices, your responses, are shaping your days.

18 Likes

Éowyn Thank you for sharing your reflections especially the experience you had with “self criticism” while you where meditating . The event that I am going to share happened at a birthday party on January 2nd. I haven’t seen a sister in-law since hurricane Irma, she was very communicative before. It seems that I did something to upset her. This was said to me on the party by my brother, her husband. I am glad someone was clarifying the silence. Right before Irma I asked her if I could take refuge on her house, since my husband and I live by the ocean and the prediction where of devastation by us . she gave a lame excuse and said no, I was frustrated and disappointed, but I didn’t act on my feelings . All I did was express effectively my feelings. However, there where some misunderstandings and assumptions on her part that the day of the party when I approached her to give her a hug she rejected my gesture. I froze, I felt a pit in my stomach. I was confused and taken aback. I felt so small , a familiar feeling like when I was in high school, bullied by the tall and strong girls in my class. I tried to share my feelings with my husband, but I was doing so badly that I got no support. I guess I wanted someone to rescue me. I felt frustrated and became aware I was holding my breath. I noticed my negative thoughts toward her. I was aware of the contractions of my whole body. For one second I had the desire to fly , leave the party. I stayed however, I went to the bathroom looked on the mirror and “fixed “ my hair. And right there I recognized the trigger. I recognized an old unhealthy pattern (self judgment) the pain of rejection, shame and loneliness. I closed the toilet seat and I sat and I allowed thoughts, emotions and body sensations and welcomed them without condemnation . When I was ready I began to care for myself by practicing self compassion meditation for a few minutes. Thanks to Mindfulness I surfed the wave successfully and came back to the party and enjoyed with the rest of the family.

3 Likes

Thanks, Delia, for this powerful sharing.

Your honest words offer a moving and clear example of the tremendous
support mindfulness practice can give during unexpected and normally
unwanted or rejected situations. It’s easy to trick ourselves into thinking
practice is mainly for self-soothing, especially since calmness/steadiness
is definitely an important part of what you described. You were steady
enough to be present with all that.

And, as your report illustrates, that steadiness has a purpose: when we
open to the unfolding moments there are these possibilities for powerful
inner transformations of our conditioning. It sounds like you now have a
clearer recognition of your great human capacities for compassion and
presence, and that some old mental habits got loosened or released.

What a joy to hear that! Thanks again.

3 Likes

I love this as a reminder. It is so easy to get caught up with the idea of control. Compassion is such a great way to release the perception of control, and to even deal with your own inner thoughts. The emotional and body responses to lack or loss of control can certainly be overwhelming. However, with mindful compassion, there is a potential to handle things that grow and carefully foster inner peace. Thanks for sharing your own thoughts and experiences. I can certainly resonate, and it makes those thoughts easier to deal with knowing that a lot of people hold hear them too! The best part of it all, is the problem can be addressed with present, mindful, kindness. Truly beautiful. Thank you!

1 Like

I really needed to read this today… thank you. :)

You are most welcome! Glad this well of thoughts offers support.