Practicing with Paradox

This week’s reflection, from CFM certified teacher, Éowyn Ahlstrom, considers life’s ordinary paradoxes…

Years ago, a wise teacher shared with me that what she found herself most appreciating through her decades of mindfulness practice was the paradoxical nature of the human situation. At the time, this seemed rather obvious to me and not particularly helpful. A little painful, even. I didn’t yet see how this recognition could support peace of mind. Lately though, I’ve been exploring paradox in simple ways, and finding freedom there.

Take, for example, my relationship with the clock and the calendar. Like many people, I rely heavily on these tools. In one way, they are empowering, vastly increasing my ability to get where I wish to be when I wish to be there. When I want to work on a project with a colleague, say, we simply agree on a day and time and put it in our calendars.

There’s another aspect of the situation, though, that reveals the opposite. Sometimes I notice myself stressing out in relationship to these tools and the plans I make with them. “I’m late!” or “There’s too much to do!” Pressure and anxiety arise and I feel an unpleasant tightening in my belly and chest. Thoughts spin endlessly. Suddenly, the very same instruments that were apparently my allies have turned on me!

Recently, I’ve been drawn to investigate these aspects of my calendaring choices. My schedule has felt overly full, but it was me who made all these commitments! I’ve been seeing this an opportunity to look at the motivations behind my actions, to see the beliefs that drive my scheduling decisions and know them as thoughts, sometimes very compelling ones. Usually, one way or another, the discomfort is all about me, my sense of myself, my worthiness and the worthiness of my actions: “Am I good enough? Important enough? Have I contributed enough? Will I get what I want? Will I have enough?” Watching these mental formations appear like rabbits from a magician’s hat, the next moment opens wide with letting them go.

A carpenter who took up a mindfulness meditation practice told me that the most helpful insight he’d had was not to take it personally when he banged his thumb with a hammer. Before practice, he said, when he occasionally hit his thumb he thought something had gone wrong, so he felt angry, or responsible somehow, or as if life itself had betrayed him.

Now he knew: this is this nature of things. Hammers make it possible to create lots of amazing things, and from time to time it is inevitable, even for a skilled carpenter, that a thumb will get whacked. There’s nothing really personal about it. That’s the paradoxical, contradictory nature of our situation.

Have you noticed any paradoxes in your life lately? What are you learning from life’s many contradictions? How has mindfulness offered space to see these paradoxes differently?

10 Likes

Eowyn,

I can relate to your words. To keep in line with your carpenter analogy you hit the nail on the head. Having completed PTI this Fall I am beginning to attempt to make a career change into Mindfulness services. My paradox is as I research, make contacts and find opportunities opening up to me in the field of Mindfulness that show I am going in the right direction and will probably be able to make a career move, I am even more plagued by doubt and questions of worthiness. The closer I get to my goal, the higher the stakes for me and my family and the unsettled nature of my being comes to the forefront. So as I sit and carry on through each day I try to stay focused and patient, trusting and watching these waves of doubt and restlessness come and go.

It can be intimidating to be with these thoughts and emotions but deep in my heart I feel the call to a mindful existence, whether I make the career change or not and if I continue to practice and open up to all that is available I will be ok. Thanks for the comments it’s always nice to know we are all in the same boat at one time or another.

4 Likes

Eowyn thank you for sharing…it is helpful to read others wisdom. One of the paradoxes I am seeing clear is when I am getting ready for a meditation practice and I am rushing. I feel the anxiety in my chest, I feel my body leaning toward the future and my shoulders are tense. I feel the stimulus, recognized the craving, allow it to be, find out the belief or assumptions and notice what is on my mind, what emotion am feeling . Notice it for what it is
I am not the anxiety and to recognized that there is nothing wrong with me . I just need to allow all to be as it is and make the transition to the cushion as I am. Otherwise the sitting is one more stressful thing to do.
Not to identify with the anxiety, just put the mat under it and let go

2 Likes

Eowyn- Thank you for sharing the paradox of time. There are so many in life. We even have multiple ways of expressing the phenomenon.The flip side of a coin, pros and cons, double edged sword, and my least favorite six of one half a dozen of the other. For me retirement has brought so many paradoxes. The one that really stands out for me is productivity. Essentially, I retired because the work was too much. Too many students, too many education plans, too many evaluations, too many meetings, too many deadlines. I was too busy, or to put it another way I was too productive. Now that I am retired and have the freedom to conduct my days as I choose, I struggle with whether I am being productive. Trying to appreciate the time I have and savor it. Trying not to judge what I accomplish in a day. Did I meditate? do yoga? walk my dog? read? learn something new? talk to friends? get out of the house? make a good meal? The irony is disturbing and funny at the same time.

1 Like

Thanks, Wendy, Delia and Mark for your replies to this post. I’ve been in silent retreat since it went up, and writing it feels like a million years ago now… It’s really nice to have your responses prompt my memory and contribute to my reorientation to the speedier pace of work-a-day life. You each give such poingant and unique examples of the paradoxes of the human situation - most appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks for your post on Paradox, Eowyn.

Like Mike, one on my paradox challenges rests in the transformation into a teacher - meditating in the moment, while still holding the intention (which secretly feels like a goal) of working with others.

I’m also regularly reminded by others during the introductory sessions I’m leading that paradox lives at the very superficial level of understanding. That is - is seems question people at the beginning of the meditation process. Sitting with their paradox is also a real challenge. I really want to respond with something like, “well Kabatt-Zinn’s book tell you that …, and current neurology research might add …” So I’m playing with holding and honoring space for another’s paradox as an instructor through lens of a beginner’s mind.

Douglas

1 Like

Hi Douglas, Thanks for your reply on this post. Learning to let people and
life be, rather than trying to fix or improve everything, is important -
both for lessening our own suffering and making the space to present with
others. Eowyn