Mindful Music/Mindful Artists

Hi @bspako, the Italian pianist, ludovico Einaudi, especially his piece ritonaire and for more modern tastes I listen to an artist called Patrick O’Hearn - two of his prices, a lovely place to be and beyond this moment. Johanne Johanson and Garth Svenson are also amazing have attached you tube links to all four artists.

1 Like

Beautiful @marijke_k, I have been listening to them quite often, thank you!

I’m a fan of Meredith Monk and have been for many years.

Hi, Colin. Yes, I play the Japanese bamboo flute, the Shakuhachi, as a formal practice. The honkyoku pieces are specifically for contemplative purposes.

Hi Ted
Thanks for that. Perhaps societies with longstanding Buddhist practice or similar have more well established mindfulness techniques to draw on for such purposes, hence maybe such pieces as you are enjoying.
I will try and learn more about honkyoku pieces, thanks!

This might be a place to start, it gives a little background:

http://shakuhachi.org/HONKYOKU.html

Also, this piece is one of the first one learns:

Yes, that’s the sheet music for Hon Shirabe.

Thank you so much, my musical education continues!
Warm regards

Hello Bob,

I love this question. I took a class at Lesley University called Liberation Math. We had an assignment of Viewing Fractals in every day life, (I was especially interested in Architecture) and it was fun to notice the interconnections in design. It reminds me of Mathew Brensilver’s comment, “Living with our Eyes Open & Everything is teaching us.” The class was based on learning Math in a different way so people are not afraid of it. We watched this Ted Talk of Logan Laplante, who brings up some interesting points.
Hackschooling makes me happy | Logan LaPlante -…

Although it may not work for everyone, it is an interesting concept? See what you think?

Thanks, Marie, for picking up on this posting from a few months back. I love that course title: Liberation Math. In fact, as I near the end of a masters in psychology and think about going on to a PhD, Leslie University has been on my mind. Something of a hack self-educator and (for the most part former) skier myself, I very much enjoyed the video. As you say, the method may not work for everyone. But, with good guidance, the right young person, who might be crushed by traditional schooling, could really go far.

Now, here’s a recent example of my math/mediation idea: I have been reading a book on topology (the study of geometric properties and spatial relations unaffected by the continuous change of shape or size of figures–google) and thus was reading about and then meditating on mobius strips–that is, a strip of paper formed into a circle that seems to have two sides–front and back, inside and outside–until you put a half twist into it and reconnect it. Then you find that it really only has one continuous side. My meditative mind easily made the connection (as yet imperfectly understood) between the mobius strip and our perceptions of the universe. In our so-called normal experience, we imagine that there is an inside and an outside, a front and a back ,to things, ourselves, whatever. But it may turn out to be more accurate to think of the universe (and ourselves as part of that universe) as a mobius strip–only one side, no front or back, no inside or outside, etc. Cheers, Bob

I am deeply interested too to your paper. I long for it!