CFM Certified MBSR Teacher Search

We’re pleased to announce the release of this new functionality, which allows visitors to the Center’s website to find CFM Certified MBSR teachers in their area. Read more here:

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/stress-reduction/find-an-mbsr-program/

2 Likes

It’s wonderful! Thank you!
~Laura

1 Like

Thanks for that!

Could you please tell us if there will also be a finding function for teachers who are already qualified to teach MBSR = who finished all three training modules (7 days, Practicum, TDI) but who aren’t certified yet. I am sure that this was mentioned already a couple of times that this service would be coming soon as well.

Thanks for letting us know, best, Kim

1 Like

Hi, Kim. I’m a Qualified MBSR Teacher myself, so this is near and dear to my heart! Updates to the Search are going to be small and incremental, and prior to any major shifts in who may be included there would be plenty of direct contact with those who may be impacted. We do not have plans at this time to add anyone beyond those who are CFM certified, and need to fully vet the implications of any potential change.

Thank you for sharing your insights and interests, please continue to reach out as more questions arise.

2 Likes

Thanks Ted, I am grateful for the listing, even though I too am qualified as well, and hoping to be certified soon, but I am relieved to say that I didn’t see Saki or JKZ on the list ;) – and for what it is worth, I counted 89 certified teachers in the U.S

Thanks, Ted, for your quick explanation, I understand. I just like to add one point here (it might be obvious, but I am not sure): The list with qualified teachers would of course be a completely separate one from the one with certified teachers. That’s how I understood the intention of the CFM when they talked at the TDI about this topic. So from my perspective, when made really clear in the communication on the Internet, this could work fine. Of course making it clear is a challenge. Best to keep it simple ;)
Thanks for working on this topic and best wishes, Kim

Hi, Kim. Yes, I completely agree that there would need to be clarity for the users about what they’re seeing, and the credentials of those listed. There are many options to consider should the eventuality of including others peer over the horizon!

Fortunately, whatever we do for future enhancements, we’ve been blessed with outstanding partnership, talent, and skills of the UMass IT team. The credit for how well the Search works right out of the gate is entirely reflective of their dedication and collaborative efforts.

Hi Ted,

Having just completed the TDI/PTI in August and engaging in the supervisory course currently in process, I read these exchanges with interest.

It was my understanding from what I heard at the Body-mind in June with Saki and Florence that, with the creation of this new qualification of “Qualified Teacher,” there would shortly follow a list on the website of Qualified Teachers that we would be eligible to be listed on. I understood it would be up to us to ask to have our names added and that we would be able to do so shortly. When I read your attachment, it so strongly emphasized Certified Teachers that it seemed to reduce the Qualified teacher status to nothing.

It was my understanding that the Qualified teacher status was to enable those of us who are merely Qualified to point to that when approaching various venues in order to offer Mindfulness and Stress Reduction.

I’m wondering what the purpose of Qualified is if we aren’t recognized on the website in any fashion.

Many thanks,

Nancy Bennett

2 Likes

Hi, Nancy. I’m hearing a great deal of interest from my fellow CFM Qualified MBSR Teachers about being listed on the CFM site. And that’s completely understandable; as a Qualified Teacher, it’s something that would certainly help nearby potential participants find my MBSR classes.

As you may know, this is not the first time a listing was available on the Center’s website. We learned a few things since that first listing, and we’re learning even more with this new version a few years later. The leadership team is aware of the interest being expressed and the concerns as well, and will be discussing the topic as soon as is feasible. And I will bring up the points made here and elsewhere about what people have been expecting.

Speaking as a Qualified Teacher, however, I don’t feel that not being included in a list of CFM Certified MBSR Teachers is reducing my accomplishments to nothing, far from it. I am still perfectly capable of creating my own web presence, advertising, and teaching, just as others have done for (at this point) decades. The value of being a Qualified MBSR Teacher does not hinge in totality with the listing on any website, even this one, and our strength and credibility comes from what we do and how we teach.

2 Likes

Hi Ted, I just discover that there is others institutes in Europe that offer teachers training in MBSR. They also have their own listing of teachers. This sounds a little bit disconcerting: I was thinking CFM was the only institute that could use the name MBSR?

Hi, Sonia! Can you tell me who says they offer teacher training?

1 Like

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. And yes, of course, you are right. My credibility also hinges on the information I put out and the Teachings I present. I haven’t gotten a website yet but you have inspired me to think about it.

I want to return to the Qualified teacher status one more time. In your post you say, “I don’t feel that not being included in the list of CFM Certified MBSR Teachers is…etc.”

I’m wondering if I miscommunicated. I don’t expect to be listed as a Certified MBSR teacher until I am actually Certified. But the status of Qualified teacher is one that I think needs formal recognition on the website. I was told I would be a Qualified teacher at the end of the TDI this August (PTI?). The letter of completion I was given from the Center didn’t even mention the word Qualified.

Today I received an email with a post from CFM about a new Practice Teaching Intensive in Colorado in May. On it it states in big letters, “Join us at the Westin Snowmass Village for SR 402, preparing you to teach 8-week MBSR courses to the public as a ‘CFM Qualified Teacher.’”

I’m wondering if something that is offered in the advertising shouldn’t also be confirmed in the completion letter and on the website.

And while my memory is often unreliable, I believe I heard Saki say that we would be able to have our names listed as Qualified MBSR Teachers on the website.

It seems pretty straight forward to me.

With thanks for your patience,

Nancy

Hi, Nancy. Great response, thank you for speaking about this, I’m so pleased by the receptivity to open dialogue as we unpack and integrate all perspectives!

On creating your own website, I would simply suggest checking into things like WordPress or other low to no-cost hosting options, complemented by social media like Facebook. You can be quite successful independent of any other cross linking, and the technical knowledge is quite minimal.

The term “Qualified MBSR Teacher” is a new one, so of course there is some confusion about it. Those who have completed the coursework through PTI “qualified” to begin teaching MBSR and not certified, which is a continuation on the journey of a teacher’s learning and experience. The distinction is quite simple – you and I as qualified teachers have had the best training available (I sincerely believe that, having checked into many programs and knowing how robust and challenging this one is, I would still do the CFM path if I had to do it all over again even before working here!), but we’ve not yet developed our course materials, had 1:1 dedicated time with a senior teacher to help us grow, and we’ve not had significant gates through which our teaching has been comprehensively vetted and passed. That does make a difference; I’ve seen many teachers who are excellent and ready after TDI, and others who may need additional help in that growing into the role.

I’ll pass on what you’re seeing about the advertising and site, as I agree we should be consistent in descriptions to help avoid confusion. I’m also following up with Saki about what’s been said and the impacts we’re seeing.

And finally, just a note of harmony if I may: this is early yet, this new search capability. This is only the beginning, and things are not set in stone. We have a steep learning curve and want to ensure we’re taking the best course of action(s) to serve our participants, our teachers, and those who visit our site for information about mindfulness. Things will certainly change and we’re exploring what those options are, so please do keep the conversation going as you and so many others have done – it’s needed, appreciated, and helps make things better.

1 Like

Hi Ted, here is the link to the Institute for Mindfulness : http://www.institute-for-mindfulness.org/mbsr/MBSR-Teacher-Training.

Hi ted, did you have time to visit the website I sent you?
I wish you a nice day.

1 Like

Hi, Sonia. Sorry for the late response, I was away on vacation last week.

Yes, I did, and am very familiar with the lead of that organization, she is a Certified MBSR Teacher and her institute has been teaching MBSR trainers for several years. There are other places which offer teacher training, like this one, but they are not affiliated with the Center for Mindfulness at UMass. At this time there is no formal equivalency, so programs are not necessarily interchangeable – taking one of our teacher training courses would not always “count” in other institutions, and theirs would not “count” here.

1 Like

Nancy,

After attending a recent training, I came away with the same understanding you did–that I would be eligible to be listed on the CFM website.

I have my own website, which I’ve had for years, but I don’t think this can be equated with an endorsement on the CFM website.

Just wanted to offer that, for what it’s worth.

Thank you for your voice here.

With Metta~
Deanna