Emotional difficulty after a total hip replacement

I had a total hip replacement one week ago and am doing phenomenally well physically, full weight bearing, no pain meds, walking without an assist device. Last night I had a very emotional melt down with a lot of tears and feelings of loneliness, sadness, vulnerability, and feeling unloved though clearly all around me is evidence to the contrary. I recognized the difficult emotions and chose to express the tears, discuss it openly with my husband, and continue to investigate it today. It is still very painful to feel these feelings which were once a part of my daily life, but for many years, have not surfaced. I have a good life and the support of a good husband, though this was not always the case during his years of active alcoholism, but that was 30 years ago! I have been practicing mindfulness for 8 years and will work through this. I am also a yoga teacher and I know that difficult emotions are often released with students in hip opening poses and have actually called the hips “the land of the unshed tears” myself, after having heard that once from another teacher and having it resonate with me quite strongly. My question for anyone who might know is if there is some research someone can point me to regarding the topic of post operative emotional difficulty following hip replacement surgery. I am also a nurse and I know that surgery, anesthesia, and pain meds often create some degree of weepiness post op. What intrigues me is that these emotions are attached to some very old memories and thoughts that I thought had been dealt with and were part of my history. Thanks in advance. Judy

Hi, Judy. Thank you for sharing so deeply of your experiences during your recovery from such extensive surgery, and my very best wishes to you during this time.

You may want to go to Google Scholar – http://scholar.google.com/ – and search for “hip replacement emotionality”, that seemed to provide a few links that might be of interest. Hope that helps, please let me know!

I greatly appreciate that, Ted. I will check into it. At any rate, I have been meditating off and on all day and that has brought substantial relief from the angst of last night and this morning. I have some deep self-honesty that needs to be investigated. I also have the opportunity to practice self-compassion so I have a lot going for me. Kind regards, Judy

Hi Judy,
I just wanted to share that I noticed similar patterns - re-surfacing of old, deep, strong, negative emotions - when there is a transition in our lives or a stressful event, even if everything turns out ok in the end. It is almost as if the mind wants to go back to old (but familiar) places…I am not sure this has anything to do with the hip replacement per se, and rather a lot to do with the stress of the surgery, of being (even if for a short time) frail and weak.
Warmest wishes and a hug!
Elena

Hi Judy,
I am impressed by the fact that you/awareness/consciousness was able to recognize the difficult emotions stirring up in you/body, mind, feelings and decided to investigate. As this recognition and investigation comes from an awaring presence which is our real self, and not the emotions, thoughts, perceptions and feelings. I think it’s t’s wonderful that one can do that and operate from this consciousness/ presence the real “I”. At least for a brief moment. I don’t know of any research on post operative emotional difficulty after surgery. But I know that the teachings on Nonduality have helped me a lot to discover my Inner Self. It has helped me through difficult times, tough feelings, painful history, toe surgery, etc., etc.,. One of my favorite authors of Nonduality is Rupert Spira. Eckhart Tolle is another favorite.
I wish you a quick recovery and a new beginning through this wonderful inquiry.
Inge

Hello Judy,
My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. Have you heard about EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique)? It is called “tapping” by users and therapists. You might benefit. Doesn’t hurt to give it a try. There is a 10 day summit in progress online currently. The sessions are each free for 24 hours worldwide. Todays topic (day six, I believe) is on pain relief. These are mp3 audios and I have found each to be a terrific form of therapy to help get to the root of nearly any physical and/or emotional issue. I will attempt to send a link. It’s called the 9th annual World Tapping Summit (incase you wish to google it or google EFT Summit).
Best of wishes,
Lisa

Here’s a link!

Thank you Lisa and Inge for your responses. I too embrace the teachings of Eckhart Tolle, and have heard of EFT but not delved into it, so thanks for the nudge. Actually, I used what I was taught and have been practicing from the curriculum of MBSR, and I am happy to say that my difficulties were lifted within a 24 hour period and furthermore, I experienced a state of peace and contentment that I hadn’t felt in a number of years. Quite extraordinary. Each day brings challenges in accepting physical limitations while healing, and living with some boredom, but in the grand scheme of things, I am a very grateful 66 year old woman with a new hip. Thanks again for reaching out to me. Much appreciated, Judy Angyalfy

1 Like

Wonderful Judy. Im so happy for you!
Loving the issness…is freedom!
-Inge