How to create new linked topics?

How do I start a new post?

@jud Does it work that there is only one flowing topic? Can we have sub-topics…? This would be very important…

@Cathykerr if you click on a category (e.g. science corner, green box), you can click on the “+ Create Topic” on the top right side of the screen. You can find more tips in the FAQ’s topic.

You can also start a related topic if you mouse over the white space to the right of a post and the button “reply as a linked topic” will appear. This can be helpful for related but not direct responses to a particular topic. Notice how these will automatically appear if you post a link to them (e.g. the Frequently Asked Questions shows up on the right side of this reply because I linked to it).

Hi @Cathykerr ,

Yes, it’s definitely possible to create a new topic and I realize that our current entry in the FAQ doesn’t fully address the question; I’ll fix that up right away. There are 3 ways to post a message depending on the context:

• To reply to the overall topic, use the Reply button at the very bottom of the topic’s page:

• To reply to a specific post, use the Reply button on that post:

• And, to finally answer your specific question, to take the conversation in a different direction, but keep them linked together, while hovering over a particular post, use [Reply as linked Topic] to the right of the post:

• Also, to quote someone in your reply, select the text you wish to quote, then press any Reply button.

Edit: @jud Looks like we were composing replies simultaneously!

cheers,
Matt

One quick question… Do all of these replies stay under the heading of media coverage of Mindfulness?

Or do they create a tangle of new topics?

I actually think that we would like our own cluster or key as it appears in the entry page – IEP at the same level as “science” – – and then be able to develop some topics within that space.

Rather than be under science… I think this would work better. Otherwise it will be a string of somewhat loosely link to conversations instead of definable subtopics. I think this ability to follow multiple threads within a defined space is why the Facebook Group has been so successful.

Thanks again for the feedback on this, Cathy. There’s now a dedicated “Media & Public” sub-category (a child of the parent Science Corner category) which will be able to handle any related topics. Going forward, we can definitely create additional sub-categories as needed.