Living with Pain: The Wisdom in Discomfort

Living with Pain: The Wisdom in Discomfort

IDEAL FOR: All levels including beginners

As someone who has lived with chronic physical pain since childhood, navigating an open, compassionate relationship with my body has been one of my life ’s great challenges thus far. So many of us struggle, often invisibly, with the physical or emotional pain that can co-opt our energy, demand more rest, and monopolize our attention.

Through diverse practices of mindfulness and commitment to self-care, I have learned to be in a graceful and kind relationship with my pain and its presence. I spent years trying to get rid of it without success and, ultimately, the most helpful work for me has been to turn to it and befriend it, as paradoxical as that may sound. Now, I can authentically say that this pain is one of my greatest teachers.

In this day retreat, we will explore our existing relationship with pain and how to open our attention to different ways of relating to and experiencing it. Using dialogue, journaling, movement and meditation practices we invite our minds, bodies, and hearts to open to greater ease amidst the discomfort - whether it be physical, mental, emotional, etc.

Please wear comfortable clothing for movement and bring a journal, if you have one.