MBSR for deaf people

Hello from France,

I have proposed MBSR programms since 5 year, here in France.
A deaf people community recently asked me how it would be possible to propose the MBSR programm to a group of deaf people.
Are there any attempts “to adapt” the program for this type of circumstances?
Thanks for your help.
Enjoy your day.
Emmanuel Faure

This might help:

@jfruge may have insight to share <3

Hi Emmanuel,

I was born deaf and have been teaching mindfulness for almost 4 years. I’ve found that I needed to modify the MBSR program to make it linguistically and culturally accessible. I do it by using PowerPoint slides with primarily conceptual images and minimal texts because sign language relies on visual-spatial information/communication processing. It is not sequentially based as are the spoken and written languages. One sign can be translated into a number of written words. Furthermore, facial expressions yield important grammatical and semantic tips. Sign language is tailored to the eye while spoken languages are made for the ear. Hence spoken and written languages are a real challenge to many congenitally deaf people. Many of them just don’t like to read which is apparently understandable. Granted that some born-deaf individuals master the spoken/written language very well, the chances are high that you will encounter some deaf people who can’t comprehend, for example, the English language well. I like the video that Ted Meissner’s posted and I’ve used some of their techniques such as gently tapping on the shoulder at the conclusion of meditation practices. I also provide meditation guidance a few steps at a time in the first three classes. From Class 4 on, I give the entire guidance before we close our eyes to meditate. For Yoga, I first demonstrate a pose, then they copy. I also have a PP slide of each Yoga pose on a wall screen that they can refer to at their pace. I walk around making sure that they are executing the poses safely and appropriately. I’m heartened that we are opening MBSR programs to the Deaf community. I welcome you and everyone else to contact me for further info or clarification.

Thank you, Yinhsu! <3

Judith, thank you so much for sharing your experience and expertise! I had
tears swell up in my eyes and warm fuzzy sensations while reading through
your post. Your sharing is also a beautiful reminder for me - to flow… to
be fluid… to gently mind the words, the syntax, the tone, the facial
expression, the physical presence, and all the aspects of communication.
<3<3<3 Deep heartfelt gratitude.