MBSR In East Bay CA

I am fairly new to MBSR, having discovered it (through a dr. Recommendation) after being diagnosed with Vestibular Migraines. I’ve been trying to find communities in east Bay SF, CA. Can someone recommend the best way to do this?

1 Like

Kerry, I hope you’ve already gotten the information you need. I googled and found this resource for certified MBSR instructors in CA
http://w3.umassmed.edu/CFMInstructorSearch/#/index/search?filter=California&p=1

Hope it helps if you still need to find a place.
Barbara

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reaching out with this information.

I’m still researching, and am looking forward to starting the 8-week MBSR class at the end of this month.

Regards,

Kerry

Kerry,
My name is Jerry Cambra and I teach MBSR in the East Bay (specifically Oakland/Berkeley). I would be happy to speak with you about what you’re looking for. Please email me at jerry@imaginemindfulness.com. There are a number of MBSR programs in the East Bay.

Thanks,
jerry

Jerry- thanks for getting back to me.

I am currently signed up for an 8-week MBSR course in Walnut Creek. I think you might be teaching it.

Would love to connect on how I can become more involved with the practice, beyond the scope of the course.

It’s fairly new to me (aside from my own meditating), and I am interested in exploring more.

Many thanks.

Kerry

Kerry,
I’m not teaching in Walnut Creek but I have a friend that I trained with that teaches in Lafayette. Do you know the person or organization that you signed up with? I’m currently doing classes live online. My teaching partner and I have been teaching this way for about a year. It’s been a great experience and we begin our next Session this Wednesday. UMass offers some courses but there’s not really and MBSR 2. We offer a twice a month follow up to MBSR called Week Nine (as in what happens after week 8 of the course). We share a little community and about a half hour of practice. It’s for MBSR grads and it’s also live online.

Kaiser offers MBSR courses and that’s where I took my course originally.

If you have specific questions, I’d be happy to try and answer them.

I hope this helps!

Take care,

jerry

Week 9 sounds interesting.

Do I need to have Kaiser insurance to take the course?

I’m taking it at Stresscare

I hear that the Streescare program is good but a little pricy. The Kaiser program has two tier pricing - about $150 for members and $200 for non-members.
What is Stresscare charging? MBSR courses vary pretty widely in price.
What got you interested in MBSR?

They are charging around $400. I’m hoping it’s structured similarly to the others.

Would welcome the chance to connect over the phone, to discuss what got me heading in the direction of MBSR. It’s a little long to type out.

Are there other classes, lectures, etc. you’d recommend, for me to learn as much as I can about it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kerry

I would recommend that you read “Full Catastrophe Living” by Jon Kabat-Zinn while you’re taking the program. It fills in a lot of details that aren’t covered in the course.
There are a number of books, videos, and programs about mindfulness that not MBSR. Many can be interesting or helpful depending on your own preferences. YouTube has some good MBSR related videos. Almost anything from the UMass teachers is interesting. Bob Stahl is a local instructor and one of my MBSR teacher/mentors.
My number is 925.785.7555 if you’d like to talk by phone.

jerry

Thank you so much! I am new to this website, so didn’t even realize I had messages waiting for me.