MBSR/ mindfulness and Bipolar 2

took the great MBSR class many years ago for pain after back surgery. have struggled over the years with depression and anxiety. Sometimes have felt like even though I accept feeling anxious, it still overwhelms me. Maybe I am not practicing enough, etc. Now as a late middle ager have been diagnose with Bipolar 2. Gives me hope for help from new meds, and I am sure meditation will help, but in a way I don’t feel like I was such a failure at it, there were other circumstances. Anyone have experience with mindfulness and bipolar?

Dear Kim, here is a link to an article that you might be interested in. there are several other articles
on line that may also be helpful. I have worked with several clients with bipolar disorder who have benefited from
using mindfulness practices. I’d say rather than quantity of time practiced, applying even brief moments of mindfulness during stressful times can be really beneficial.

3 Likes

dear kimnm
i am a psychiatrist from kerala trying to ease mental disorders with the help of mindfulness based interventions. i feel from my personal experience that mindfulness can help in a lot of situations for people with bipolar disorder and also borderline personality disorder. yet i will advise that medicines should not be missed until and unless you get the opinion of your treating psychiatrist
dr.krishnan

1 Like

thanks, just saw this believe it or not! don’t think I ever got notices until this last response I got. I appreciate it and will take a look!

Thank you for your response. I am seeing a Dr. who has me more balanced with a mixture of meds. I still am working on the mindfulness too. A combo of both seems to be best. Thank you for your thoughts.