Meditation for ADHD

Is there any recommendations for mindfulness meditation for those with ADHD? It seems as thought the practice would have to be modified somewhat for the disorder.

The executive functions are not as active and it’s much harder to focus with ADHD. There is also additional anxiety.

1 Like

Hello Mathew
As children often have a very short attention span I suggest that may be a basic start point - short, interactive meditations and meditational activities.

I have also been researching working with PTSD sufferers and some of those suggestions may also be useful. Again even the basic ones such as solid preparation before commencing - ensuring a quiet safe space where participants are made aware of where the doors are, not sitting them near a window etc. helps settle any excess of nervous energy before commencing. I can recommend the book Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness by David A Treleaven in this arena.

With best wishes
Grace

Hi Matthew
This book might be a useful resource
The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD by Lidia Zylowska. You may want to contact her if you need more specified resources.
Regina

1 Like