Meditation Retreats Pre-req, MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine

Continuing the discussion from Welcome from the Moderator:

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, you have come to the right place for these questions! In CFMHome Oasis, we are creating an interactive community where our trainees and prospective trainees can help each other, and also find the resources they need from us here at the CFM.

To your questions:

1. Yes, the 7 day, teacher led retreat you mentioned meets our pre-requisites for meditation retreats.

2. Yes, it is important that those training to teach MBSR take the MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine course. The course explores the practical application and integration of MBSR in health care and other settings. It provides a unique opportunity to practice mindfulness meditation as it is taught in the Stress Reduction Program at the UMass Medical School with CFM lead teachers. If you are aiming toward certification, it is a required part of the curriculum, and best completed early in the journey.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Cheers,
Eowyn

Thanks Eowyn,

Just to clarify … The mind-body medicine class is not required to teach but highly recommended. It is required for certification. Is that correct?

Thanks!
Sandra

Yes, Sandra, you understood correctly.

In order to submit an MBSR Teacher Certification Review to the CFM, completion of the MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine course is required.

And, you may begin teaching 8-week MBSR sessions (part of gaining experience on the way to certification) after completing the Teacher Development Intensive.

Also, you are correct that we do recommend that MBSR teacher trainees take the Mind-Body Medicine course as early as possible along their training pathway.

Hi,

I want to do the MBSR training. I inquired whether an Anam Thubten retreat would count and you said yes. When I went to register, I found out the retreat is both residential and commuter. Will that count for MBSR training? Thanks!

How do I register for Practicuum class in january or July? I am taking the basic MBSR 8 week class this fall at the Unversity of Missouri-Columbia and a seven day retreat October 1-7 in Colorado.

Thank you,
Sandra Miller
501-908-5898
millersandr@gmail.com

I think these two links will help you. The first the schedule of all trainings, the second is the info about the Practicum, which includes a link to the application.

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/schedule-at-a-glance/

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/detailed-training-information/practicum-in-mbsr/

The website does not indicate when you will begin accepting applications
for 2016 practicuums. Do you have any idea when the system will begin
accepting applications?

The website is not as user-friendly as I would like. Just finding the
application forms is a challenge. Then to get there and you aren’t taking
applications for trainings on the schedule seems crazy.

Any insight you can provide about when the system will begin accepting
applicaions is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Sandra

Hi Sandra, I do not know but I will ask the admin folks and see how we can help you. I’ll get back to you in a day or so. Btw, I agree that the website isn’t as user friendly as we would all like. We are working on improving it, and your feedback about the challenge of finding the info you needed is useful for our process toward simpler, clearer systems. Thank you! Eowyn

Thanks, Eowyn,

It would help if you put the link to the application form in several places
(e.g., on the schedule pages & at the top of the detailed description of
the program as well as at the bottom of the detailed description).

Great suggestion, Sandra, I will pass it along! The admin folks got right back to me. Here is what we have for now:

When we open programs, CFM sends an email newsletter (constant contact) so make sure you sign up for our mailing list.

Also our schedule-at-a-glance page on main website is updated as soon as courses are confirmed, so if you look at the link I sent you from time to time, you will see it there when it opens.

Thanks for your interest,
Eowyn

When and where is the next Mind Body Medicine training and how can we apply?

It will be posted on our website when registrations open. It’s looking like
late winter 2016 in California.

If you are not on our email list, sign up here:

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001D6Rc9wl0agsXFnGZq3fV7B6LSOSjrBKi9iuAw7xddmKalzkX0Lk7QW2Iygry3XhnRNQkKl4CIRrMAtjM9WeML3CBGwj1BWTj

That way you will receive a notice that the course is open for applications
as soon as that happens.

Hi,
I would like to know where is the next Mind and Boby class. I can’t find anything on the web site.

Thank you very much

The 2016 Mind Body Medicine courses don’t appear to be posted as yet. They will be posted on our website when registrations open. If you are not on our email list, sign up here:

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001D6Rc9wl0agsXFnGZq3fV7B6LSOSjrBKi9iuAw7xddmKalzkX0Lk7QW2Iygry3XhnRNQkKl4CIRrMAtjM9WeML3CBGwj1BWTj

That way you will receive a notice that the course is open for applications as soon as that happens.

Hello

I’m from Portugal and I would highly appreciate if you could tell me where and when will be the next MBSR Mind-Body in Medicine courses. Not only in the US but also abroad.

Thank you very much
Nuno

As they are scheduled, the 2016 Mind Body Medicine Courses
(internationally) will be posted here:

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/oasis-course-schedules/