Mindfulness for M.S

Here’s a short personal essay I wrote for the current issue of the magazine of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

Steps Toward Mindfulness

I am an MBSR instructor, having trained here at the CFM through the level of TDI (Teacher Development Intensive). I am interested to hear of proposed clinical trials investigating the benefits of mindfulness in M.S. patient care. (There has been very little research to date.) I seek the opportunity now to teach MBSR to M.S. patients. I have a Ph.D. in anthropology, and I am free to travel now where this work would be for me. Please contact: marilyn.mcarthur@comcast.net Thank you!

Hi, Marilyn,
Your goals are formidable yet worthy, it seems to me. I wonder if you would share where you are located as ‘home’, and also, would you let me know if you’ve had any success in establishing a program for M.S. patients? I have a dear friend located on the west coast of the U.S. who could substantially benefit from a program like you are proposing. Don’t give up!

Thanks. Sincerely,

Skip

Skip –

Now there is an organization based in Australia and the UK, Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis
overcomingms.org. In addition to the website, there is a book, “Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis” by the founder, George Jelinek. OMS regards MS as a lifestyle disease of developed countries, and recommends diet change and meditation. It hosts MBSR retreats for MS patients in Australia and the UK,

Here is a link to two essays on mindfulness meditation that I wrote for for the organization Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis OMS. I always have in mind newly diagnosed patients who are finding their way forward.

1 Like

Here’s the link to another essay I wrote for Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis. My role on the blog is to write about the benefits of meditation. You’ll recognize this advice as straight out of MBSR!
https://www.facebook.com/MultipleSclerosisManagement/posts/10154026592605910

I am enjoying blogging for the website Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis. This essay, “Deformable Me”, muses on meanings of the word “stress,” as in engineering: “a force exerted on a deformable object.”

1 Like