New teacher training, US Affiliate Programs?

Hello everyone,
I’ve been pouring over the information contained on the website and I’m currently trying to understand my next steps towards teacher certification. I currently have a long standing practice. Have taken an MBSR 8 week course in Chicago and I’m in the process of searching out the best options for longer silent retreats. Since I live in Chicago it seems like the next step after taking care of the retreat pre-requisite would be to look into the 9 day Fundamentals course SR-401-9D since it would be hard for me to be away from home/family for the longer duration course.

While reading in the forum I have noticed a few mentions of affiliate courses that work with the CFM. What I can’t find is where these affiliate courses are located and how the credits may transfer etc. Are there any programs in Chicago or the midwest area? The only other program that keeps popping up in searches is the program in UCSD but I do not believe this is an affiliate course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Take care,
Rich

Hi Richard,

Good to meet you here!

I know some of the Chicago teachers, and you are in a good place for MBSR community (if not for immediate training). It’s true that the 9-day Fundamentals will be your next step after the retreat.

As for our Common Good Affiliates: here is the webpage: https://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/commongood/commongood-affiliates/

These include organizations in Winnipeg, France, Denmark, Spain and Italy. We do not currently have equivalency with UCSD or any other US training group.

Best wishes in your exploration! Also–please feel free to drop into the “Oasis” area of cfmHOME. Eowyn Ahlstrom, one of our teachers, moderates that area and there are many questions and answers that might also support you.

Warmly, Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for your response. So by being in “a good place for MBSR community (If not for immediate training).” Do you mean that there are people or places in the city here that I could take the 9-day Fundamentals course or is this only offered at UMass or one of the places outside of the US.

Would these local teachers be the ones I should be looking for in terms retreats etc and how can I find a list of the Chicago teachers. When I looked them up on the site only one person popped up. Are there other resources I should know about here or on the Oasis site where I can find this information.

Sorry to sound a bit clueless. But, sometimes it’s better to admit when your a bit lost and just ask for help.

Thank you again for your guidance.

Take care,
Rich

Hi Richard–Sorry for the confusion, and your questions are entirely appropriate.

You’ll need to take the 9-day Fundamentals with CFM or our Affiliates, There are no training sites in Chicago. There are a few teachers that I know in Chicago and my sense was that there was a practice community forming–but that may not be true. I offered it as a way to stay connected in your locale, but not for training. I suggest you call the teacher(s) and check with them if you’re looking for community. As for retreats, you should check out our website for applicable retreats, and unfortunately I’m not familiar with any retreat sites in the mid-west.

Unfortunately, for most people travel is required for both retreats and trainings.

Happy to support your inquiry, Richard. And again, I hope this is helpful.

Warmly, Lynn

Thanks again Lynn,

This and you were a wonderful introduction to these boards. Thanks for the quick and informative answers.

I look forward to continued discussions down the road.

Take care,
Rich