Questions about SR-401 Pre-requisites

Hi,

I am considering entering the teacher certification pathway next year and I want to make sure I appropriately cover the pre-requisites. Three questions:

1. If I take an in-person MBSR course locally where I live, how do I know that it will be accepted as an official MBSR course by CFM? Is there some way to verify?

2. I have attended a number of Jewish mindfulness retreats and I’d like to know if that can meet the retreat requirement? The retreats I have been on do meet all the stipulations: silent, teacher-led, emphasizing mindfulness practice and mindfulness teachings, and 5+ days. For example, here is the retreat I will be attending this winter: http://www.awakenedheartproject.org/retreats/three-week-jewish-meditation-retreat-2018

3. I just want to confirm that I do not need to take MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine before taking SR-401 if I begin in 2018? The website is a bit confusing because it already lists DM-100 as a pre-requisite for SR-401 even though elsewhere it says that that will not take effect until 2019.

Thanks very much!
Daniel

Hi there,

I would appreciate any answers to these questions, particularly from a representative of the program! The program website directed me here with any questions.

Thank you,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

And, thanks for the prompt, as somehow, until I recieved that nudge, I had
missed seeing your first message in the full flow of daily communications.
Here are the answers to your questions:

1. By taking the MBSR course with a teacher who has been trained by the
    Center for Mindfulness, you can be sure that we will accept the particular
    class you have taken as a pre-requisite to Oasis training.

2. I looked carefully at these retreats, and you are correct. They do meet
    our requirements. I was interested to see that, as I have not encountered
    silent, teacher-led mindfulness retreats that have a Jewish connections.
    Glad that’s available for folks who find it a good fit. Going forward,
    simply be aware as you choose retreats that for the Oasis training you need
    2 that are 5+ days and 2 that are 7+ days.

3. Yes, that’s correct, but I’d recommend that you take Mind-Body Medicine
    first anyway. It’s the direction we are heading in and it will give you an
    excellent context for SR-401.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Eowyn

1 Like

Hi Eowyn,

Thank you for the helpful response! I am happy and relieved to hear that the Jewish mindfulness retreats will qualify. Yes, it is a small but growing field that I am excited to be a part of.

Just to be extra safe and double-check, here are the MBSR teachers I have found in my area:
http://www.valleymindfulness.com/about.html
http://valleystressreduction.com/teachers.htm

It looks like all of them were trained at the Center for Mindfulness – and some are even former faculty members – so any of these MBSR classes should qualify, correct?

(I know I don’t live TOO far from the CFM, but there is still a huge difference between being able to walk down the block to a class, and needing to drive over an hour each way; and I’d much rather have an in-person experience than online.)

Thanks again!
Daniel

Yes, those teachers are CFM trained.