Research on mindfulness with children

I am a clinical psychologist. My colleague and I have received funding to introduce mindfulness skills to fifth graders in a public school in Massachusetts. I am interested in finding a good simple measure for pre-and post-test of the children’s self-regulation, impulsivity, or other measures of social-emotional functioning. We will have one classroom without the intervention as a control group, and three classrooms will have the intervention of 6 weeks of 20-30 minutes of training in mindfulness skills. Any ideas and experiences with IRB boards, particular instruments or analyses would be very welcome. Thanks, Sara Epstein, PhD

Hi, Sara. You may want to review the Measurement Tools listing on the Resources section of the American Mindfulness Research Association, or AMRA. In particular, the Child and Adolescent Mindfulness Measure, CAMM, may be of interest. Note that the primary owner of the site, David Black, has done studies with children and might be someone you could reach out to for further suggestions.

Please let me know if this helps!

Thanks so much, I think that would be a great option to use the CAMM, from what I can tell from the abstracts. How would I get permission and find out the cost of purchasing the CAMM? Thanks, Sara

Hi, Sara. You may want to review this article about CAMM’s development and use first, and then you can reach out to the developer of the instrument, Laurie Greco at Laurie.Greco@va.gov (if I’m reading that correctly) – let me know if that helps!

Thanks I did already reach out to her but have not yet heard back. Thanks so much!

Hi Sara - I am working on adapting mindfulness to adolescents with severe mental illness on my inpatient long-term unit at UMass. I would be interested in learning from your experience as far as curriculum goes. Thank you, Boris (child psychiatrist)

It is realy nice you can do this work, I was done 5 week MBSR course for 7-11 years old and 11-14 years old children unit in Shanghai , China, if anything I can help, write me a email: 15318858580@163.com. Ying

HI Boris, just saw this post. We have completed the 6 week course with 20 min classes with three fifth grade classrooms. It went well. I am happy to talk or meet with you to discuss what might work with the inpatient groups. Let me know what would be most helpful. Sara