Seeking Your Wisdom

Hi wonderful online world of MBSR teachers. I am thinking about teacher training and researching what it looks like to be a teacher. Wondering if someone has the time to share their journey (positives and negatives) as well as what expected compensation is when you start teaching?

I’ve been reading threads on the challenge that recruiting people to teach is. Is working with a hospital highly sought after and therefore extremely competitive? Do schools/ hospitals/organizations have different qualifications? Is Certification (with the very costly additional courses) much more important than being a “Qualified Teacher”, or is it more important to be a good marketer in how you market yourself?

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

I am a Qualified MBSR teacher in Bend, OR. I recently relocated to Bend after having started classes in Utah originally. Getting a class started without an existing network of some kind in my experience, has been somewhat difficult as well. That said, I keep at it. I know it will take patience and perseverance.

The teaching is amazing and I love it because I see, and get feedback, about the positive changes that the participants experience in their lives. So far the negatives have been minimal and have most to do with getting the business going. I find that in my location, education about MBSR is where I spend most of my time. Some people have heard about mindfulness but don’t really know what it is or why it’s important.

As for compensation, take a look at what other teachers in your area are charging. I know for me in a relatively small town on the west coast, it’s much less than it is on the east coast for the 8-week class. And, it was even less in Utah than in Oregon. I also charge a little less than more established teachers in my area since I’m relatively new. I completed teacher training in 2015.

I did make contact with the Integrative medicine department at the cancer center through one of the hospitals in Bend. The person in charge was wonderfully receptive and supportive and I am offering classes through them now. I think the question, at least where I am is less about competition than educating health care providers, and the general public about the class’s importance for their patients, or themselves. I am working my way through contacting other departments at this hospital as well as other hospitals in the area. I also have on my contact list, behavioral health organizations, therapists, veterans organizations, and businesses. The list of people we can help is very, very large and even if there is competition, I think there are more people to help than we can hope to reach.

I’m not sure what you mean about different qualifications for schools/hospitals/organizations, but you may just start by contacting someone there and asking them about it.

As for certification, it’s also on my list of to do’s in the future, but I wouldn’t let it stop you from getting started. The people who need the classes will find their way to you. I believe plenty of teachers are doing well with classes without certification. Marketing yourself is important regardless of whether you are certified or not - you will still have to do it. So far, for me, a lack of certification has not been an issue. I don’t know going forward if it will be or not. I do know that CFM only lists certified teachers on their website. There has been lots of discussion about listing qualified teachers also, but to my knowledge, it’s only the certified ones for now.

I am also a Qualified Teacher of Eat Right Now, the mindful eating program developed by Dr. Brewer. I think with time, there’s a potential for students in either class to take the other. I also teach a mindful meditation class through a local healing arts center. Some of those students may end up taking either of the other classes, but even if they don’t they will be getting some mindfulness training, which in my view is a good start, especially if people are unsure of the commitment they want to make.

If you have other questions, I am more than happy to answer them if I can. The best of luck to you.
Warmly,
Cheryl Mills

Thank you, Cheryl, for your insight and information. I recently earned an associate degree in Complementary Health Care and took the 8-week MBSR classes, I have been contemplating enrolling in the teacher training classes, but was hesitant due to the large cost of certification. It is helpful to know that I will be qualified to teach after completing the program and certification is something I can work towards in the future.

Ann G Scott

1 Like

Hi Cheryl, thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is VERY helpful. Your honesty and openness are unlike the 166 people who looked at this post and past it by. Your feedback provides me with an understanding of what it really is like as an MBSR teacher, something UMASS doesn’t really share. I wish you the very best in your practice. Many blessings, Stephen

2 Likes

You are most welcome, Stephen, and thank you.
The best to you as well,
Cheers,
Cheryl

You’re welcome, Ann. I wish you the best in your work. Keep going!
Cheers,
Cheryl