Silent Led Teacher Retreat Resources Needed

Greetings!

So, thankful to be a part of this online community. Since I completed an MBSR course almost 4 years ago now, it has been a challenge to link in with a Mindfulness community in my area. I have attempted to start a group to connect practitioners, but it has not been successful.
Since completing my course, I have not attended a teacher led silent retreat. I understand the importance of doing so, not only to my own practice but also to the work that I am doing teaching MBSR. I have reviewed some of the resources on the CFM website, but I am hoping to obtain additional resources or perhaps some guidance. The financial aspect is a consideration, as most of the retreats I have found are not local. I am a psychotherapist, so I do not get paid for time off, so it is important for plan this time wisely. I am in Wisconsin and not opposed to travelling for a retreat, but just need to be mindful of the total costs, with retreat fee, travel expenses and time away.
Thank you for your assistance!

1 Like

Hi Iman,

I can’t see the 5 “Views” that have been posted, maybe this will be redundant.
I notice that sometimes in Madison there are silent retreats, and the Twin Cities Vipassana Collective just had a silent retreat at a retreat center in Annandale, not far from the Twin Cities. Another is scheduled for June. TCVC has a newsletter you can sign up for. The information is below.

They bring really well trained teachers. Someone who teaches often is Chas who is the Teacher in Residence at Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts.

Here’s how to get their newsletter:
WWW.TCVC.INFO

Twin Cities Vipassana Collective
P.O. Box 14683
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414

Enjoy!

Paula in Minneapolis

1 Like

Hi light of faith
I have the exact same problem. I took my training in the summer of 2012. I would love to take a week silent retreat. It sounds like heaven. Family obligations, plus financial aspect has prevented me from going to MA, i live in NJ. Recently I found a yoga studio that gives once a month 4 1/2 hour silent retreat for sixty dollars, it is not
What I really want. However, it is better than not doing any. I wish you luck finding a silent retreat,
This home page is wonderful as, I feel very isolated from others using MBSR.
Evelyn

1 Like

It’s wonderful to go on retreat. So much learning about the mind, the practice. Can be challenging but also one of the great opportunities for joy and connection.

We offer weekend and week-long retreats in the MBSR style in the Pacific Northwest (and one in California). You’re more than welcome. We try to keep them as accessible as possible by using the teachings-by-donation system that some Buddhist groups use (“dana”) - registration fee is just the base cost and we use a pretty affordable (but beautiful) church camp.

Reach out if you have questions
http://www.mindfulnessnorthwest.com/retreats

And if you can get a group together we may be able to send a teacher your way!

Hi
I’m in Catalonia, Spain, quite far from Wisconsin.
I have done a 10 days silent retreat led by teachers from the Vipassana tradition of SN Goenka near home. They have facilities all over the world. One of them is Dhamma Visuddhi, in Menomonie, Wisconsin (https://www.dhamma.org/en-US/schedules/schvisuddhi).
The retreats are free of charge (all included). After the retreat you can make a donation if you want, or can help other meditators in a later retreat. Remember that zen and vipassana retreats are the recommended by the CfM.

With my best wishes
Toni

Hello Iman,

I completely agree with the last post and from my experience at a TX Vipassana, I fully recommend the experience (which is free for first time attendees…the entire center is donation based from “old” students). I attended S.N. Goenka’s 10-day silent (video recorded) retreat and was amazed at how wonderful it was, challenging, but truly an amazing experience (hence the difficulty gathering words that can express both my experience and gratitude!).

If cost is not as much of a factor, I have been pleased with the courses at Spirit Rock in CA as well.

Best Wishes,
Dawn

There is Madison Insight Medition that host silent retreat and also http://www.visuddhi.dhamma.org/schedule.htm
in Menominee that teach the SN Goenka retreat.

Check out www.CommonGroundMeditation.org in Minneapolis. They offer retreats in southern MN, and recently purchased a retreat property in Menomonie, WI.

One interesting note about the vipassana retreat mentioned: ten years ago, I participated in a 10-day vipassana retreat and absolutely loved it! I recently contacted Dhamma Visuddhi in WI to register for another 10-day retreat. In the application, I answered the question about whether or not I teach meditation. (I teach a two-credit course at a local community college.)

It was a shock to me when I was informed that I could attend the retreat, but if I wished to attend any additional retreats I would have to give up teaching meditation and only practice the vipassana technique as taught by Goenka.

I would have completely understood if they had requested that I not teach any of their techniques, but to require that I stop all teaching seems wrong to me. I decided not to attend. What a shame.

If I had omitted that I teach meditation, none of this would have come to light, but it would not have been truthful.

Thank you to everyone whom graciously responded with your experiences and your information. I decided to attend the Vipassana 10 day retreat in Menomonie, MN. I am looking forward to deepening my practice among community.
Thank you all again.

Humbly,

Iman

1 Like

Hi Evelyn,
I’m in NJ too! Are you talking about John Welshons at Studio Yoga in Madison, NJ? I’ve taken that too, I wonder if we’ve crossed paths? I know of a few great classes in NJ, but I’m trying to find a 5-day retreat myself too. I’m actually about to start a local group- just to sit together weekly or even monthly. If you’re interested, please let me know.
Jessica in Summit, NJ

Hi all, so glad to have joined this group! I am looking for a silent retreat in the St. Louis, Missouri area. Anyone know of a center that is recognized by OASIS?

Hello all,
Do you know of any silent retreats on the north east (MA/NY/NJ/DC or surrounding areas) for this winter (2015). Preferably for thanksgiving weekend, but other weekends would work too. I looked at the cfm retreat-resources link below, but could not find one that could fit in my schedule because of family obligations.

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/detailed-training-information/meditation-retreats/

Thank you all for your input.
Naresh

There is a silent retreat in St Paul/ Maplewood this summer lead by Mary Jo Meadow. June 17 to 26. She is recognized by IMS as an Insight Meditation teacher and has been leading rea\treats for 30 years. I have attended the summer retreats for the last 5 years. The cost is very reasonable. You can contact her at resecum@msn.com
Sue Flannigan

Hi, thank you for the insight. Are the retreats you are referencing approved for teacher certifications?

Hi!
I find here that it is not only me that experienced 10 days silent retreat of Vipassana and S.N. Goenka. I found it very helpful and a very clear and deep practice. When communicating with the people in Vipassanacenters. I have found that it´s OK to test it for one time but that you then have to decide wether you shall continue to other practices or to choose Vipassana. You are not welcomed a second time a “10 days” if you intend to educate and lead classes in other meditation traditions. It is very sad I think on many levels. So my question is. Is there another training that are much alike vipassana and that also offers longer silent retreats that you can recommend? My first hand respons that I am hopng for is that it is ok to be a MBSRteacher AND still be welcommed at some Vipassana center in the world that dont have as strict rules. But I know that that´propably to much to hope for. So thanks for any help and suggestion in this matter
Rita

1 Like

Hello Rita,

Thank you for this continued dialogue. More clarity certainly helps, and I wonder if you (and the others in this thread) have read the entire page on the CFM webpage about silent retreats. When I went to the page just now I realized that if you don’t scroll all the way down, past the actual retreats offered, you might miss important background information that speaks to the question about any other meditation paths. I encourage you and the others on this thread to review that here:

https://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/retreats/

Kindest regards,

Lynn

1 Like

Thank you so much Lynn. Looking forward to check this information and see
what I can find. This was very helpful.
Varm regards to you Lynn.
Rita

Den tis 29 maj 2018 14:47Lynn Koerbel noreply@cfmhome.org skrev: