Teaching MBSR in rural area with economic, social, and cultural diversities

I am interested in addressing the integration of MBSR into my rural community. This southwestern community is diverse culturally, socially and economically. I have given several MBSR trainings and want to appeal more to people of color, to the 18-34 year old population and to those with limited income.

I’m looking for any published information about others who are or have offered the same. I am also interested in discussing this issue with others who have similar interests so that we might strategize as to what is helpful and what is not.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

HI Gerry,

I ( along with a colleague and friend) started a MBSR program in my small rural Maine community 5 years ago. I obtained initial funding for materials through our state’s Medical Association and use the local hospital space for the class. In order to address the income disparity in our rural community, we created a sliding scale based on income ( we used the honor system) and then offered scholarships to those who could not even afford that ( this essentially means we offered the program to people for whatever they could afford). I am fortunate enough to not have to rely on teaching for my income so the course has now evolved to me teaching by myself, collecting the amount that people can afford and then after my expenses are paid ( room rental, making Cd’s advertising etc)…I donate any monies left to community causes that support a mindful approach to life ( music groups, local farming etc…). The course has been at times full, at other times needing to be cancelled for lack of participation. There are some struggles with offering this in a rural community but I think the benefits far outweigh the hardships… happy to connect to answer any questions you might have…
Kathleen

1 Like

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for writing to me. I am a “qualified” MBSR teacher at this point, working toward my certification at CFM. I retired from nursing in 2015 and would like to supplement my income with cost-wise courses. I’ve taught 4 class series so far. My initial 3 classes were taught with the help and support of a local hospice in my community of Las Cruces, NM. I had 11 in my first class, 12 in my second and 20 in the third which I did as a benefit for the hospice and I charged $89 which went entirely to Hospice. The vast majority of class participants have been white and also retired. The Las Cruces population is about 90,000 with a state university in town. We are a border community and have a large Mexican and Central American population. However, the majority of the population are Caucasian, many retired, with a few African American folks, a few black students from the US and abroad, very few Native and Asian peoples. Our economy is primarily based on agriculture. Our politics are centrist to liberal.

Since taking the TDI in March 2016, I decided to begin charging a nominal fee for my fourth 8 week course. The fee was $119, $79 for those 18-34 yrs. If people really wanted to take the class, I offered to negotiate the fee for a lesser charge. No one has taken me up on that as of yet. I had 9 students initially and 2 dropped out. This year I started making my own recordings that I expect to have ready for my next class in late March.

What I was looking for help with was how to encourage other social, ethnic and economic groups to participate in the classes. The few Hispanic participants have not had any real ideas as to how I might reach other Hispanic people. I have had a few articles in the weekly newsprint publication and I have met with a professor at the university who teaches the science, and some of the mindfulness practices, to counseling students. I have made email contact with the Superintendent of Schools about the success of Mindful Schools. I haven’t heard much from that but was hoping he’d grab on to it as a way to help kids manage their emotions in class. Last year I attended a gathering entitled “Mindfulness in Business” where the Chamber of Commerce and others were hoping to encourage a better working relationship between businesses and employees, primarily. I recently agreed to speak for 45 minutes at a symposium on mental health and social justice that is happening here in mid-March. The organizers of the symposium asked that I offer a mindfulness meditation practice which I will certainly do. I expect the audience will largely be academics and hopefully people from the business community. The recent immigration policy changes and the hostilities toward Mexico are of major concern to us here, as you might imagine.The subject I want to broach (in my few minutes of opportunity!) is employing mindfulness (MBSR) as skillful means for bringing diverse populations together for the purpose of recognizing their inherent interconnectedness. I am not aware of any research concerning this. I do have access to the David Black research reviews and to the library at the university and need to explore that.

So, Kathleen, do you have any suggestions about 1) how I may encourage different ethnic and social groups to come to MBSR and 2) other resources I might use in my talk at the symposium?

I really do appreciate your interest and, having visited Maine on several occasions, respect very much what you are doing in Maine.

Warmly,
Gerri January

1 Like

Thank you both for posting, and I also suggest you taking this discussion to the Teachers’ Lounge–since this is an opportunity to engage with many others over these questions.

A few thoughts I have: In my experience this takes sustained effort over time, lots and lots and lots of outreach and following up on all fronts. It is a kind of “guerilla” practice of bringing patience, steadiness, vitality, non-striving, loving-kindness, wisdom, discernment–nothing less than all that we practice with and for!–to the endeavor.

As public health nerd, I have, for years now, felt that MBSR and mindfulness can offer communities what you suggest, Gerri: a practice to remember interconnectedness, and also, a practice for coming into contact and exercising one’s self-sovereignty and self-efficacy, for speaking one’s (and one’s community’s) truth… for bringing about change in the realms of social justice by wisely engaging with others, especially those with different views. This is timely work, and also takes a kind of steady and exacting patience. Being willing to be in it for the long haul is a marvelous start. And finding friends for the journey is essential. As someone who spent three years in Taos back in the 90’s, I have a flavor of how challenging this is from my own experiences… it may also serve to reach out to other mindfulness and MBSR teachers in NM to share experiences. This is fruitful and long-needed work, Gerri (and Kathleen). Keep at it… please.

With warmth and appreciation,

Lynn

3 Likes