Teaching Mindful Eating Course in my area?

Hello
There is a lot of interest where I live (Des Moines, Iowa) about offering a Mindful Eating course to local wellness, fitness and community centers. (I see it’s popular at CFM as well, since there’s a waiting list! Very Cool!) What kind of support does the Center for Mindfulness offer to those of us who are currently training to teach mindfulness and MBSR? Are you able to provide specific curriculum and information about the Mindful Eating course that can help us lead groups wanting to lose weight and be more mindful around eating? For instance: Info about overcoming cravings, how eating habits form, and coping with food triggers?

I’m VERY interested in learning more about teaching this type of class. This could also be a HUGE in for getting potential students interested in participating the 8-week MBSR course. (Since most people I talk to in my area have never heard of Mindfulness in this context, let alone what MBSR actually is) Thank you! - Allison

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/stress-reduction/mindful-eating/

RESPONSE UPDATED 8/18/2016

@allisonpeet good question! [quote=“allisonpeet, post:1, topic:1883”]
What kind of support does the Center for Mindfulness offer to those of us who are currently training to teach mindfulness and MBSR?
[/quote]

I’m currently developing a pathway for mindfulness instructors to facilitate a “flipped classroom” model: “lectures” are delivered through an app, and “homework” is done via an in-person support class, as you can see from our CFM link that you posted. MBSR teachers who are looking to expand their offerings to their local communities may be great candidates for facilitating these mindful eating groups (e.g. those who have completed the TDI and are looking for opportunities to build their teaching skills and serve their communities).

Anyone who is interested in learning more can:

1. Download the app from goeatrightnow.com, and start becoming familiar with how it helps teach people to change their relationship to eating.

2. Learn more about our Flipped Classroom Facilitator training on our CFM website (here’s a link to offering through the 2016 Fall Teaching Institute).

2 Likes

Thank you – I will download the app – It looks like it’s a 28-day program, correct? I applied for the TDI this coming August in MA. Do I need to complete the TDI training before I train for the Mindful Eating class? Could you recommend the best timeline for Mindful Eating teacher training?

For now, we are typically looking for folks who have completed the TDI before they start facilitating groups (and this is somewhat dependent upon someone’s own background). Yet, you can start “training” first by gaining the wisdom from your first hand experience with mindful eating (through the app), and also joining in the discussions on the live weekly web check in (see goeatrightnow’s community page for how to log in).

Thank you for the valuable information. There are many people in my community that are interested in taking a mindful eating course. I completed the 28 day online course as a participant and submitted the form that I’m interested in leading groups. I have a health and wellness background, so I know that will be beneficial. I’m taking the TDI this September. Can you please let me know you received my form? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime besides the Eat Right Now program? Thanks, Allison Peet

I’m pleased to say that the Center for Mindfulness will be offering a formal facilitator training as part of our Fall Teaching Institute. We are aiming to have materials posted and sent to our mailing list later this week or early next week. You can formally apply for the program through that mechanism (and you should be in good stead for that if you’ve completed the 28 days and will have finished the TDI (or equivalent) by October.

We now have the Fall Teaching Institute offerings posted at our CFM website. For anyone interested in training to facilitate mindful eating groups, please follow this link for more information.

Hi Jud,

I’m very interested in the facilitator training. So much so that I noted marked craving when I saw the announcement. Funny but true. I’m a certified MBSR teacher and have several populations of folks who are interested in taking the course as soon as I can offer it. I’ve completed the registration process and downloaded the app. Working with the app the past four days has been gratifying. I set the goal of not eating after dinner which is a BIG habit for me. It’s a minor miracle that I’ve been able to meet this goal thus far.

Here’s where my question comes in. Today, day 5, I got the notice that I need to pay for the app to continue. Is there a program code that I can use to access the rest of the app or do I need to pay to complete this suggested activity prior to starting the facilitator training.

Thanks for your great work,
Ruth

Hi @Ruth,

Good to hear of your interest. Unfortunately, there isn’t a program code that you can use -you’ll need to pay for it to continue (and I think right now it costs $20/month or $99/year, so hopefully isn’t cost prohibitive).

Cheers, Jud

Thanks for the speedy reply. It’s not cost prohibitive (it’s now $25 per month) but it is an unexpected cost and, unlike my course registration fee, not one that I’ll be able to cover out of my professional development funds.