What Lies Beneath

What Lies Beneath

This week’s post is written by Lynn Koerbel, teacher and trainer at the CFM. Lynn lives in Northampton, MA with her partner and their yellow lab puppy Zuzu.

A friend posts a picture on Facebook of a whale breaching right off the shore where she and her family are vacationing. The beauty and sheer immensity of the creature fills my computer screen and I find myself taking in a deep breath, imagining the amazement of experiencing such a rare occurrence first hand: the startle of what isn’t visible suddenly appearing, breaking through, quite literally—the depths—and emerging powerfully, full of life.

So much goes on beneath the surface—whether it’s the surface of the ocean or the surface of a human being. The practice of attending has widened my focus about what might be going on in any given moment, what is seen—and what might not be seen—but is present, nonetheless. In my life, this has been fertile ground for awe, a feeling that opens me and takes me out of my head and any kind of “thinking,” and right into the fullness of being.

My mother has declined both physically and mentally in the last few years, more precipitously in the last year since my father died. Every few months I visit her several states away at the facility that takes very good care of her, for which I am grateful. We spend hours sitting together, working on crossword puzzles, or quietly, me knitting, her asking questions from time to time. She wants to die, and I quite understand her depression, her sadness, her longing to go… often times she doesn’t make sense, and I am mystified and curious about what goes on in her mind and heart. I sometimes think about how these roles were reversed when I was a child: She sensing into the moment with me and my inability to speak or barely, not knowing how to express what was happening—and yet she stayed close, waiting, being, relating through smiles, eyes, a tender caress, an embracing hug.

So her silences, her rambling sentences, her repetitions are something I’ve grown to accept as simply the way it is right now, at this stage of her life. But when she talks of wanting to die, I take it seriously. She and my father had a deep and long-lived love; her anger at still being here without him, “left,”—no matter that her three adult daughters are loving and available—feels reasonable and understandable to me, and I wish I could do more.

At one point in a recent visit it is early evening and she speaks, again, of her wish to die. And in response, I pause in my knitting, looking directly at her. I am candid: “Mom, if there was anything I could do to help you, I would.” Without missing a beat, my sometimes confused mother responds quickly, “Well then the monkey would be on your back.” She looks at me, her usually vacant eyes now revealing something else—something as clear as that whale breaching the reflective ocean surface. We hold each other’s gaze for some seconds. I am a little stunned as I feel the well of awe open. And I want to turn away.

So I go back to my knitting, uncomfortably. But after a moment, I stop, and she takes my hand.

And the dusk closes over us like water.

26 Likes

Beautiful Lynn. I know a similar chair and these tender moments of just being together.
Precious.
Thank you for this gentle memory and for the reminder.
Jane (We once met in Ireland :-)

1 Like

Thanks Lynn for sharing such intimate and touching moment of your life. XXX

1 Like

Lynn, thank you - my father died 2 weeks ago, so your words are beautiful pointers for me, as I am coming to know that there is much lying beneath the surface. And not just within my mom and my siblings, as we address the estate and are trying to ‘take care of’ mom, but within me, where I am noticing much more than I expected. I know these words: its a journey, its a process, its a practice - but I am finding, along with the sadness and regrets and appreciation and admiration, there is that sense of awe you refer to.
And speaking of awe, we were fortunate enough to see the eclipse in totality. Reflecting on those moments when the moon blocked the sun, we saw that the light was never completely blocked out–during those moments of darkness was the beauty of the corona, the only time we can look directly at sun–reminding me that during our moments of darkness, loss fear, worry, sadness, light and beauty are present and surrounding us–in other words, _there is more right with us than wrong with us, not matter what is wrong…_always!
With gratitude, Gus

1 Like

Dear Gus,

My condolences to you on the death of your father. Your imagery about the eclipse is moving… Awe lives in such disparate places, right? The loss and the light… and this primal loss is huge. I hope you are able to give yourself time and space to write, speak, share,… be, with what is most needed. The ripples are mysterious and can create a whole new life pattern that is as much about birth as it is about dying.

Be well, my friend. Sending warmth and peace to you and your family.

Lynn__

2 Likes

Thank you, Jane, for your kind words. And I remember you!

Wishing you well, Lynn

1 Like

Dear Lynn, Most profound gratitude for your beautiful sharing. Your words remind me that our human experience connects all of our hands in the deep ocean of “what lies beneath”. It reminds me that presence, stillness, and touch cradles and carries us. I go forward in my day with comfort and renewed hope. Gentle care and thoughts to you and your mother. Patti

1 Like

Dearest Lynn,

The way you write has me feeling I’m in the room with you and your mom. My heart loved-open with the depth and intimacy of your words.

I think of my mother and our moments together as her memory and abilities change–rapidly it seems, since my stepfather died suddenly in the fall. Now, with your shared experience, there is a new perspective that resonates deeply with my values.

And that moment of awe and desire to turn away. I’ve had my own, the vulnerability real and exquisite.

With great love,
Laurie

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this Lynn, sending love to you and your mum. So nice to feel your warm presence and energy. Kate

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your profound and tender experiences with your mom I can so deeply relate to. My dad lives in a nursing home on the other side of the ocean, close to my brother and his little tribe. I visit him several times a year and then we usually sit together, and smile at each other or hug each other tenderly. And when we talk he always asks the same questions and I often give the same answers. Communication has become difficult because of his waning memory and mind. We also watch youtube, mainly opera singers he likes and every time he asks me which tv channel we are watching and he is fascinated that there is this immense offer of opera available on demand.
He used to drink a lot and has become sober since he moved to be close to my brother. It’s such a gift to have this time of sobriety with him, and I live it with awareness and gratefulness. Much love, j

1 Like

Beautiful Lynn! So painful to watch our loved ones indecline, but it provides us some amazing opportunities be mindful and present for them, as well as an opportunity to appreciate life from a new perspective.

1 Like

There’s always something very intense and private about your sharings. I will love to “have you” nearly to be able to learn how to do it.
Anyway, I’m very grateful for having known you.
Saudade,
Catarina 😘

1 Like

thank u lynn!!!.. I can relate to this. My father is 90 years old and in a depression ,always talking about wanting to die and about how tire he is of living. He wants to rest and for me is hard to accept…and sometimes I get away even though we talk by phone …just by reading your testimony ,I can see this in a different way and start acting differently…thank u once more…really grateful and blessed to have you in my life…

1 Like

Dear Judith,

I, too have lived through family sobriety–and found untold treasures there… and also, lived through the person returning to addiction. The pathways through family life certainly offer untold opportunities for deep reflection, practice, vulnerability… especially as we age.

With love, Lynn

1 Like

Thank you Lynn …I am deeply touched

1 Like

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for this beautiful reflection. My 92 year old mother in law lives down the street. Some of my most memorable moments with her now are moments of gazing into her blue eyes and holding the gaze for several seconds. No where to go, nothing to do, no one you have to be. Yes, these are melting moments of tenderness and love. Why do we wait so late to do this?

I miss seeing you and hope to reconnect soon.

love, Kathy

1 Like

Thank you Lynn. Beautifully expressed.
I just got home from visiting my mom. The image you paint deeply resonates. Much love, Patricia

1 Like

Thank you Lynn! It’s something that goes deep in myself, I had a similar experience with a patient with a cancer

Gianluca

1 Like

Dear Kathy, Thank you for sharing these poignant moments with your mother-in-law. Taking the time to be with those we love in this particular way is not easy–but so deeply valuable.

I miss seeing you, too, and wish you well.

Love, Lynn

From our brief conversations about our mothers, Patricia, sending love…

Lynn