Charlotte NC and Race Relations

Currently here in Charlotte NC we are experiencing a race relation and community/police crisis as there has been violence and the National Guard has been called in. I teach MBSR and work for a non-profit community mental health clinic. Today the local news contacted the mental health agency I work with and asked to interview my supervisor who also teaches mindfulness. She was unsure if she felt comfortable being on TV, so I volunteered to go. As it turns out, the agency we work for pulled the plug on this interview. (I am uncertain exactly why, but I am guessing they are thinking that it could be a liability in case something was misquoted or taken out of context). I was hoping to talk about how mindfulness and being non-judgmental would help allow us to have a more peaceful dialogue. How mindfulness would allow us to see past our differences and see the other human being before us. While the agency I work with has declined, I am considering reaching out to the news on my own as I have a private practice and would love to share this message with anyone who would listen. The company I work for has taken my suggestion and allows us to provide a free mindfulness training to the police department. I would love to have feedback ways to approach this topic as I am certainly not an expert on race relations. I think it would be idea for me to be interviewed along side someone who is African American and also values the benefits of mindfulness, however I am not sure this would be possible. I am so grateful for this community and believe that what we are teaching is helping to change the world and we need to continue to raise awareness.

2 Likes

Hi, Jude. I’m very grateful to you for championing the outreach, expecting how complex and difficult that can be, and so filled with potential to foster positive change.

Have you considered reaching out to George Mumford?

2 Likes

Hi Ted,

Thank you for you response and encouragement! I didn’t even think of reaching out to such a well known figure, yet it makes perfect sense. Have you met George?

Kind regards,

Jude

1 Like

Yes, in fact he will be speaking at the Center in October. I would also suggest Rhonda Magee, they are both on the Advisory Board for the Center.

1 Like

Hello Jude,

So glad you’re putting yourself out there to offer the balm of mindfulness.

There’s a group doing just that. It’s called “White Awake” . According to its homepage (https://whiteawake.org):

"White Awake is an open source curriculum that brings mindfulness, critical inquiry, and embodied forms of practice to white affinity work and the development of white racial awareness. The work is evolving, collaborative, and responsive to the needs of white individuals and white-dominant communities who want to increase our understanding of racism and leverage our privilege to end it.

Grounded in the two wings of mindfulness (discernment and compassion), White Awake is about accepting, over and over again, the invitation to turn towards the pain caused by racism – even as our socialization as members of the dominant group would have us turn away. It is not our fault that a system of racial oppression has arisen, but it is our responsibility to acknowledge our place within it and work towards its end."

I hope you find this helpful.

Please keep us posted.

Peace,
Nancy L.

3 Likes

Hi Ted,

Thank you for providing these contacts.

Warm regards,

Jude

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your support and resources.

Warm wishes,

Jude

Hi Jude,

I encourage you to reach out to Cheri Maples - founder of the Center for Mindfulness and Justice in Madison, Wisconsin. She is a dharma teacher, clinical social worker, and former police officer with 25 years of experience working in the criminal justice system in Wisconsin and has extensive experience translating the language and practice of mindfulness into an understandable framework for criminal justice professionals. She offers trainings and retreats for police officers and other high stress people-helping professionals. You can find her contact information here:
http://www.mindfulnessandjustice.org/

I really appreciate your willingness to enter into such a challenging dialogue.

Best of luck,
Ryan

1 Like

I would second reaching out to Rhonda Magee and her important work on mindfulness as a means to address racial bias. And to second Nancy too, the White Awake materials are indeed another needed approach for white people to take the time and energy to educate ourselves and apply our skills to being part of the solution. Thank you Jude for opening this conversation.
~Laura

How does mindfulness help with the issues in Charlotte? I have read many books by jon Kabat-Zinn also many more but that Mindfulness only works with people that are willing to rid themselves with what ever has control. It is a practice and a way of life. I find this as the hardest in volunteering at the VA. It has been a life saver in my life.