Do we need liability insurance to provide MBSR?

I work for a non-profit who is interested in providing MBSR to the community as well as to businesses. Is it recommended that individuals or organizations who provide MBSR carry liability insurance? I work as a psychotherapist as well and my liability insurer reports that since there is not a state or federal governing body that they do not provide coverage for this service. Any feedback is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jude Johnson, MA, LMFT

1 Like

Hi Jude… to be clear, are you saying that your liability insurance carrier for your psychotherapy practice will not cover you teaching MBSR? And what state are you in? Thanks

1 Like

I am in North Carolina. Yes, HPSO has told me that they will not cover this service but perhaps it has more to do with the agent that I spoke with.

Thanks,

Jude

This is an interesting question. It’s true, to date, that there is no
"governing body". I’ll mention this topic to my colleagues at CFM and see
what epereince or thoughts they may have with the issue.

2 Likes

Thank you! While I don’t anticipate legal issues providing this service, I want to be sure that I am protected in case such an event should occur.

1 Like

Thanks—over the years I have had this question come up, and have heard different replies, including you must have have liability insurance to its not necessary if no one asks.
You may want to ask the facility where you teach if either their policy covers you or if they even require you to have separate insurance.
I teach in Florida in a variety of facilities, only one said their policy would cover me. I buy my insurance thru Philadelphia Insurance – they do not have a specific product for meditation/MBSR teachers, but they told me that MBSR teachers fall under their yoga teacher policy (link here: https://www.phly.com/productsfw/FWI_YogaIndiv.aspx). Someone in my Practicum from another state was covered by them (don’t remember who at the moment) and suggested this to me.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I just became an independent contractor at a hospital near me and they asked me for proof of liability insurance. I’ll check out Philadelphia!

1 Like

Hi!
I will be teaching independently this year and got my meditation liability insurance through abmp. It is $199 a year. You can do almost everything online. I needed to scan and send my three documents of completion for being a qualified MBSR instructor- mind-body medicine retreat, practicum, and TDI.
The meditation instructor option is not on the online registration but you can just pick massage or other option because they will contact you for payment and document submission.

Please mention my name so they know to set up your account like mine and a referral for me. :)

Best,
Amy Hephner

1 Like

Hi Amy,

Thank you for the resource. I will looking in to this and if I decide to go with them I will mention that you referred me. Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Jude

Hi, I’m a bit hesitant to apply for Philapdelphia insurance to teach MBSR and check the “Yoga” category. Any thoughts/ experiences being covered?

Thanks!