Go Out and Play

Laura at Play

Today’s blog post is by Margaret Fletcher, whose current favorite game is Settlers of Catan.

The last time I checked, there wasn’t a law passed that says grownups can’t play. Nevertheless, many of us have given it up. What a shame. I decided, as an act of sanity and sincere investigation, that today I would include play in my day. Here’s what happened:

When I took an energetic walk after lunch, I tried to infuse my attention into what was going on in my limbs. Hips and legs and ankles coordinating and rolling together started to feel like being on a very stable unicycle. I “unicycled” around the block. Knees and ankles seemed to roll forward, while hips rolled backward. It was fascinating. Weird! Fun!

I decided that during a meeting I would communicate in the manner of being at a football game. To get ready for the meeting, I jogged in place and threw a few air-jabs at a pretend punching bag. When I didn’t understand a decision, I threw my arms out wide, looked up into the air and then clutched my head. When the group noticed that we had accomplished something pretty cool, I grabbed the project plan and spiked it onto the table, a la the end zone. I admit, this happened with a group of generous people who know me as a stable sort.

My 16-year-old daughter and I picked a word, and said it over and over. And over. We said it until the sounds made no sense at all. Then we laughed at each other, for very little reason.

At the post office, the line was lo-o-o-o-ong. The wait was boring. I fended off the impulse to pull out my phone and distract myself. I stood in line and jiggled. Then I noticed the low sound of the radio, drifting out from in back of the counter. I began to dance in place. I let my face go all kooky, expressing the music like on a dance floor. The dancing grew more pronounced. Around me, the line held steady. Alas, nobody joined me, but also, nobody freaked out.

Of course, I sang along in the car, and lustily.

Now, I’m closer to the end of my day. I feel warm and joyous. I admit, I experienced some chagrin and also some feelings of subversive rebelliousness. How about that? Now I feel poetic.

Bottom line: I feel alive.

Tell me, what have you been playing at lately?

4 Likes

Play with friend on school yard jungle gym. Full of laughter.

1 Like