Individual Supervision for Certification - When to start

Is it required to have Individual Supervision from teaching the first course and every course going forward to have it count toward the number of 8 week courses taught for certification?

Hello, Nicole,

In the Oasis teacher training pathway through the Center for Mindfulness, completing one 10-week series of Individual Supervision is the requirement, prior to submitting a portfolio toward MBSR teacher certification. Here’s a link to the full description of all of the Oasis courses in the pathway:

https://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/training/MBSR-Teacher-Education/

All the best,
Margaret

Hi Margaret,
When I did my training, starting in 2015, this was not a pre-requisite. My understanding was that when we finished teaching our first 4-5 sessions, we could apply for supervision, which was not a group supervision.
Are we grandfathered or everyone has to follow the new curriculum?
I am looking forward to your feedback.
Warmly,
Mice

Hello, Mice,

Thanks for the question, to be able to give a little more detail here about changing requirements. I think the original question was about Individual Supervision. This is a requirement, to complete at least one 10-session series prior to applying for certification, and was back in 2015. The recommendation is to teach a few full MBSR courses and then to apply for individual supervision, just as you say.

Your follow-up question is asking about Group Supervision, yes? And it’s true, this newer course has been added as a requirement for those who began their teacher training in January 2017 or later. So it is not a requirement for you, but can be taken as an elective. The recommended timing for this is having taught Zero to three (0-3) MBSR Courses, or having plans to teach first course in the next 6 months.

I hope that clarifies things. Best to you, Margaret

1 Like