Insurance coverage for MBSR course

Someone said that at least in Massachusetts there may be an insurer that covers (or partially covers) MBSR classes. Does anyone know any details about that? (An insurer here in Arizona is considering coverage and asked for other companies who might cover.) Thank you.
Gill Hamilton

Hi, Gill!

Great to hear from you. I just saw this note and thought I’d chime in. Harvard Pilgrim and Tufts Health both give a discount of 15% off the full tuition for MBSR participants at the Center for Mindfulness. I think we’re in conversation with other insurers to expand this, and also to offer online MBSR in a more formally recommended way through one or two institutions, both insurers and workplaces. It’s all coming along, slowly.

Good luck with it all!
Margaret

Thanks!
Gill

Gillian Hamilton M.D., Ph.D.
Administrative Medical Director
Hospice of the Valley
1510 E. Flower Street
Phoenix, AZ 85014
Phone 602-748-3692
Fax 602-636-6357

Hi Gill, Margaret, and others,
I am considering approaching local insurers here in Colorado about partnering to provide, coverage, discount, or MBSR promotion. I don’t know where to start. Gill, I am curious about who you have been communicating with at the insurance company, and what you have found most helpful to share.
With a discount, I assume this is in exchange for program promotion, and referrals versus any kind if reimbursement from the insurance company?
Thanks so much for any tidbits.

1 Like

Two local companies have subsidized or paid for their employees – a large power company (Salt River Project), and the City of Phoenix for its employees. City of Phoenix set it up so if participants attend all classes, the company pays all – if they do not, participants have to reimburse the company. Good motivator! We teach at their location, but also they can attend any other class we offer.
We do lots of one-off talks for schools, companies, etc. – some paid and some not - perhaps two hours getting an experience of mindfulness. The main benefit of that, I think, is that they may later take a course.
SRP is considering adding it as their (self-insured) health benefit – currently they pay half. They say is part of their desire to address opioid abuse. They asked me the question about other insurance companies, hence my questions.
The company classes are 6 weeks, 2 hours/week, with no all-day. We charge $200 per person.
We have not approached insurance companies, since we have limited capacity – three teachers (2 certified, 1 on the path), but we all work fulltime at Hospice of the Valley so do this for “fun” – or whatever you would call it! We use the income to pay for trainings and retreats….
Gill

Gillian Hamilton M.D., Ph.D.
Administrative Medical Director
Hospice of the Valley
1510 E. Flower Street
Phoenix, AZ 85014
Phone 602-748-3692
Fax 602-636-6357

1 Like

Thank so much for your reply Gillian. I am in the early stages of sharing MBSR in my community and surrounding areas. Approaching some of the bigger employers seems like a reasonable approach.
Warmly,
Nichole