Kintsugi: gilding our imperfections

This week’s blog is by Bob Linscott

blogpic

Here we are in a January, a time when many feel compelled to write a list of resolutions for the new year. These lists are often filed with strategies for changing parts of our selves or behaviors we don’t like. This is probably why your gym is so crowded in January but by late March you hear crickets in the cardio room.

What if we change this up a bit and honor those parts of ourselves that we don’t like instead of trying to alter or eradicate them? Could this become part of our practice of self-compassion?

Lately, I have been thinking about Kintsugi which is the Japanese method of repairing ceramics with gold. This practice draws attention to an object’s imperfections as a way to make it whole. It also makes those flaws a focal point of the piece. What if this process could be applied to each of us? What if we could see our ‘cracks’ as part of our history to be embraced along with those parts of us that we already cherish?

I have a dear friend who pokes and pulls at her face because she worries about her deepening crow’s feet. It is amusing to imagine her painting those lines with gold, but more practically, what if she could use those lines as part of her practice of self-compassion? Perhaps she would begin to see what those of us around her already see: that those beautiful lines are contours of experience and wisdom. They highlight the journeys, passions and heartaches she has navigated in her 60+ years.

Of course this Kintsugi-like practice would mean that I will now wear a golden cap on my head because I still lament the loss of my thick head of hair. But I am learning that the way I look is not a crack or a flaw but part of my history, my identity and a feature of my beauty.

I would love to hear from you about this. Would you be willing to share your thoughts about a part of you that needs to be appreciated more and perhaps even symbolically ‘gilded’? This could be a wonderful conversation.

13 Likes

Oh, dear Bob. That bowl, with the gold in its cracks… what a profound image for what you are describing. I pictured letting some skin-appropriate gold paint flow into the wrinkles and cracks on my own face. That would be some kind of make-up to walk around wearing! Meanwhile, I made an error at work this week, and know so well the hard work of metabolizing the stomach ache and riding the energy of it toward the necessary act of self-revealing the error. I could have easily hidden from it. Here is the gold in the crack: no hiding from myself. Thanks for the powerful image. ~ Margaret

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment Margaret! I hope that embracing the error helped lighten the burden those feelings often carry. With the lightness you have extra room for a sundae with hot fudge! LOL!

This is the second time I have heard this broken bowl metaphor in a 2 week period, so I will take that to mean this is an important message and I need to listen to it. When one is going through something very painful it’s a hard message to take in. Instead we fall into thoughts of “this is so bad, it’s not possible that any good can come of it.” This is where the teachings of mindfulness are so helpful. I feel like the hardest part can sometimes be to, not only recognize that pain you’re experiencing is real and natural, but to also say to yourself, it’s okay that I’m feeling this pain and not engage in judgments about how you are dealing with it. Here’s where you really have to work to meet yourself where you are and say there’s nothing I can do to change the painful thing that has happed or is happening, but I can draw on my strengths to meet it, learn from it and grow because of it. Not an easy thing to do and self compassion is the key. Thank you so much for your post Bob. I needed it right now.

I love this image Bob and it keeps popping back up in my mind/heart. Thank you

I love the Japanese Bowls concept. I play this video in my Mindful Methods for Life Class -it’s Peter Mayer https://www.google.com/search?q=peter+mayer+japanese+bowl&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
I’ve been struggling with the internal conflict of being loving to myself as I age, and wanting to lift my face up and eradicate my wrinkles and age spots. I know it’s ridiculous, but every day I lift the sides of my face up just a pinch, and there I am, looking how I would prefer to see myself. I don’t want to shame myself for having thoughts that I judge to be superficial and silly. That’s a second arrow! I want to be a person who ages gracefully and with grace. That would align me better with my values. Thanks for posting the bowl, it’s a good reminder for me to fix my compass!

1 Like

Bob this is a very complex topic. I learned to judge what is beautiful and what is not… the biggest habit loop for me is “what do you think about me?”. Of course that conditioned thinking is being with me 60+years.
Aging, degrees of education , inmigrant, women are just some of the elements that I can see them with different lenses today thanks to Minfulness.
When I moved from NY to Miami, where my family of origin live, I became disenchanted and felt into some of the old habits. One of them was when a brother said to me that “I need surgery to lift my eyelids.
I began looking for a doctor to have the surgery. I was denied by my insurance. This was 4 years ago. I am aware of the cultural and social pressures and today I am trying to recognize what is true, allow and accept what is happening in my body, investigate and noticed and non identiy with what my “self” or others think about me. Self compassion, cradling negative emotions like if my life depends on it .
Like Saki Santorelli says in his book shattered, but whole

1 Like

This is so lovely, Bob, and I have some sense of how radical it would be to truly appreciate the “flaws” and to take in fully what it is that they teach us…
As for myself, I know I could better appreciate all these aging ears have received over the years - from the shouts of elation and wrenching sobs of small children to the whisper of the wind and chorale of the tree frogs…and I could allow their waning acuteness to bestow the blessing of leaning in more closely and attending more deliberately and pausing longer to receive the birdsong and the sharp cracking of the ice. How would it be for these ears to be rimmed in gold and regarded as the finest of jewelry…

1 Like