MBSR Online?

Hello,
I would ask if someone have some experience with giving the MBSR online as teacher?
I’m willing to propose a MBSR course to a aid team in South Sudan. I can´t go there - too dangerous - but the idea was then to propose a weekly skype session.
I don´t know if I can name it a MBSR?
I would love to read some ideas or comments about.
Thank you very much,

Kind regards,
Gaëtane

Hi, Gaëtane. We’re in week 6 of two concurrent MBSR Live Online programs, and just yesterday opened registration for our Winter 2017 cycle. You can read more about them here:

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/stress-reduction/mbsr-8-week-online-live/

Steve Flowers has been delivering MBSR online for quite some time, too.

Thank-you Ted for sharing this information. I didn’t see it until now, on the waitlist for the Winter 2017 cycle. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,
Shanker

Hi Ted,

I am planning to deliver MBSR online in the near future as well. Any idea how people online are able to sign consent forms? Any information on consents and sensitive information is handled on line will be helpful. I wonder about having a disclaimer when they pay which confirms by their payment that have attended the orientation and understand the risks and benefits of taking the MBSR course.

Kind regards,

Jude

Hi, Jude. We have a digital consent form, and that can be done in a number of ways. Even a PDF with a Signature space for the participant to type their name is good.

On my own MBSR Online Live course, I’m including consent as a signature line at the end of the application form – all required, so no signature, no complete form, no application to accept.

Thank you Ted! This information helps and I appreciate your time. Warm wishes, Jude

Hi Ted,

I am getting ready to do a Modified MBSR course via webinar to get my feet wet. Do you have any tip on how you position your camera/computer when you are giving yoga instruction. Do you do demonstration. Just curious how this portion of video instruction works.

I checked out your site. It looks great! Wishing you all the best!

Kind regards,

Jude

Hi, Jude. Yes, good insight, it’s a bit different than when having more of a “head shot” during didactic or sitting guidance. May I ask what tool you’re using for the video conferencing? That may make a difference.

Ease of shifting between focus on your face, and being able to step further back to give a full view of your positioning and movement during yoga, is key. I’ve found it’s just a minor tilting of the laptop’s monitor down to get me in full view after moving back to the mat, and you’ll want to experiment with that beforehand.

If the tool you’re using allows for a “Brady Bunch” view of participants, you’ll need to ensure they know how to switch to having you full screen during yoga so they can see you. Having your own space set up to not only give you enough room, but also as an example to participants of what creating the space may be like, is another consideration. Having enough light so you show up, too – all of that before the relatively minor tilting of the screen of a laptop to put you in view. I end up on the other side of the room, which also means having a good loud voice, or a Bluetooth headset for sound.

Does that make sense?

Hi Ted,

Thank you so much for your insights! It makes since and is very helpful. I am planning to use Zoom. What platform do you use?

Thank you for your time.

Warm wishes,

Jude

Zoom here, too. I used Adobe Connect for years for Practice Circle as it was the only app at the time which had breakouts for dyad practice, then switched to Zoom a few years ago. It’s less expensive, more stable, and handles user bandwidth better.

1 Like

That is good to hear. I have only been using free version for teacher meetings. I assume it is impossible to have dyads and triads with this platform and that you have to stick with large group discussions.

Hi Ted, I signed up for Zoom Webinar and have been learning a lot in the process. I have discovered that if I use the webinar option that I cannot have “break out rooms” where I can pair participants with each other for small group discussions. However, if I use Zoom Meeting Pro edition I can use the break out room so participants may discuss things with each other. I have found that these personal connections and small groups to be very effective. Are you using webinar or zoom meeting? How do your participants register? Eventbrite, Zoom, your website? What wireless Bluetooth headset do you use? I am sure you have a lot on your plate and truly appreciate your time and expertise.

Warmest wishes,

Jude

Hi, Jude. These are excellent questions that are getting into the territory of professional consulting services, so if I may suggest continuing your experimentation and see how things work as best you can?

1 Like

Hi Ted, I understand. I will figure it out along the way. Thank you for your guidance.

Warm wishes,

Jude