Newcomer to MBSR 8 Week Online Course

Hi…I am now into the 3rd week of the online course. I am already experiencing healthful results…more calmness for sure. I expect that regular contact with people who are taking the course will be beneficial. Are there groups around the country who gather regularly as support for using the tools of MBSR? That sure would be a plus.

Hello, Trent. Very pleased to hear that you’re experiencing some benefits from the course.

You bring up a very good point, something that is often challenging: finding others with whom to practice, learn from, and perhaps help in the sustainment of formal contemplative practice. Some are able to find that community with local practice centers, and for others those may not be the best fit. What I would recommend is to check Meetup or other online social networking tool to see if there are communities near you, and do a Google search for mindfulness and your nearest large city to see what might be close by. You can also check into online groups, too, as they removed the blocks of physical distance.

And of course you are encouraged to post and become active here on cfmHOME!

Thanks Ted…your guidance and encouragement helps…I’ll begin my search

Let me know what you find, however that search goes. Would like to keep in touch about this!

Is it possible to have a room here for on line members? We definitely need something that is supportive of the course, and questions, difficulties and positive rewards that we might like to share. Trying to go to another group is awkward as programs are not always the same, and especially for those of us who have not been meditating very long. Perhaps there is a coach at the university that woukd like to undertake such a site to monitor and give advise.?

Susan

Hi, Susan. That is an interesting idea, thank you for suggesting it; there may be many online participants who would be interested in having a secured group just for their own use.

In the meantime, you are welcome to post here on cfmHOME, as there are teachers actively on the site and it can certainly address at least some of the needs you’re describing.

Ted and Susan,

The online MBSR course does present a different experience…an experience
that lacks relational support. I agree with Susan, an online room would be
beneficial to provide relational support – of course, it is not a full
substitute for meeting with others.

A centralized world wide contact list would be helpful.

Further consideration should be focused on how the online student can
receive more support

.b

Hi, Trent. Thanks for your insights as well! There are many factors to balance, making sure that people are made aware of the appropriate means of communication and community development that are available right now – here, for example – while still respecting personal choices not to participate. We’re seeing a shift, too, in that recorded content has historically not included any capability for engagement with others; perhaps we have the opportunity to leverage existing technologies in the interest of community development.

More to come, and again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about this.

I have been thinking about this a lot, and a secured room for online MBSR would be great, and could open several avenues for communication, such as skype sessions. There is very little hope of there ever being an MBSR teacher in my area and I am way too old to become one, so technology is my only hope, and I bet it is the only hope of many.

How can this bcome a reality?

Susan

Hi Ted…I have completed session 4. During the lesson regarding the
unpleasant and pleasant charts, Florence mentioned that students could be
experiencing sadness at that point. I am curious to know if you know why
the sadness is realized at this point.

Thanks

Hi, Susan. Can you tell me more about your particular interest in a secured conversation for attendees, as opposed to using the Living Room as we’re doing now?

One known aspect of the recorded program is that it was not intended to provide what you’re suggesting; it is, after all, recorded and on demand. We’re now filling that gap by offering an online live version of the MBSR course in September:

http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/stress-reduction/mbsr-8-week-online-live/

That does include a secured discussion forum for learning and sharing when not in the live online sessions.

Hi, Trent. That’s an excellent question, and though I can’t speak on Florence’s behalf, that does reflect what the experience of many participants in the program has been. Of course everyone’s experience is uniquely theirs, with a wide range of complex personal histories and habits, feelings and stories, all influencing what arises in the present moment. What one person shares as an arising in their practice may be very different from yours, and that experience is something to honor and explore with non-judgment and patience, whatever it may be.

At this point in the program one’s awareness may be growing after several weeks of formal meditation, and a participant’s sensitivity to thoughts, sensations, and states of heart and mind may be more finely tuned. You’re intentionally turning that awareness toward pleasant and unpleasant events; not turning away but turning in, whatever they may be. Some of those may be experiences of joy, some of sadness, some of relaxation, some of tension, and each may shift and change while attending to it. So a feeling of sadness is not uncommon; sitting with that and whatever else may arise, moment by moment, is part of the practice. Rather than being caused by your practice, it’s simply noticing what is before us, becoming more wakeful to what’s happening.

Hi Ted…Thanks for the detailed explanation. I guess I was a little lost as to what the shift was. Thanks for describing the foundation preparation that led up to this point. It makes complete sense that the senses would be heightened by this time. What a beautiful process. Your explanation gives me a boost.

Hi, Trent. Very glad this has helped in some way, and that you’re experiencing this gradual unfolding of awareness. It’s interesting that the shift may not be in the environment, it’s the subtle but often profound different experience one might have just with noticing what’s already here.

So true…I am becoming more aware of how I have put a large amount of
accountability on the environment…I am detecting the influence that my
own beliefs have on stimulating my reactions. The reactionary system is on
board ---- beliefs, thinking patterns and such.

What is the home practice the week after the All Day? Do I do Session 7 the next day?

What is the guidance that’s included in the program?

Hi Ted,

What’s this in reference to?

The recorded MBSR program, not the Online Live, if that’s what you’re wondering!

So…after the week following Session 6 we engaged in the All Day…I didn’t pick up what the week after the All Day should include…do we simply continue with the instructions following Session 6?

Thanks for your help