Planting Joy

Planting Joy

(This week’s blog post is by Lynn Koerbel.)

Fires are raging through northern California. Reports fromPuerto Rico and the ravages of Hurricane Maria continue, and while Houston, TX and the Florida Keys were hit weeks ago, full recovery is months away. Meanwhile, my community in Northampton, Massachusetts is challenged to find affordable housing for a refugee family in our midst, and I have colleagues who are daily working to corral the heartbreaking impact of the opioid crisis. Not great news, right? And I haven’t even mentioned politics. Knowing something about what it is to be alive on the planet right now, I suspect that, if you are reading this, you,
too, may be feeling the shocks and aftershocks of whatever is happening in your own mind and heart, your family, your community and the larger world. For a minute, together, let’s lay the burden down. Let’s know it and relinquish it… just for a moment.

There is a fine line between attending to what is important—and also, knowing when it is skillful to set something aside. My friend and colleague Margaret Fletcher wrote about putting herself on a media diet, which I highly recommend (Media diet in the age of (more than) plenty). You might try out such a practice and see how your mood and well-being are
impacted.

And here’s another practice you might consider: Planting joy.

Because it’s not just what we don’t do that can be supportive. We can also foster wholesomeness,
healing, generosity and light-heartedness through gestures that uplift us.

With the world in chaos, being joyful can seem disrespectful or naïve. There may be the feeling “With things this bad, how can I be joyful?” It can feel wrong to focus on and cultivate joy at distressing times… but isn’t it actually what might be called for?

So today, in the midst of all this news—I’m planting bulbs. I’ve got 50 grape hyacinths and 100 assorted daffodils I’ll dig into the soil around my house. It’s a way to tend to the earth as well as the “humus,” the soil of my humanity. It will be hard work: Shoveling, stooping, clearing the rocky ground. And it’s risky, too. There are deer where I live, and they love these tender morsels. And, who knows how this winter will be? Wet, dry, cold, warm? Innumerable factors will impact these potential blooms. The fact that it’s risky, that there are no guarantees, that it is hard work, feels appropriate.

I’m betting on joy: The delight of purple and yellow appearing in the midst of the brown and grey of a New England winter. I’m betting that the heart can hold it all: The reality of loss, disaster, anguish, grief and the tenderness of possibility, wonder and warmth.

What actions are you taking to nurture joy? What are you planting in the midst of hardness, challenge or overwhelm? Leave your comments here so we can take strength and find sustenance together.

12 Likes

Dear Lynn, today I am in touch with good friends to set up a time and place to meet for a meal this weekend. We’ll dine out, at a place we have been talking about trying out for a long time; talking and talking, but not actually getting ourselves there. Now is the time and I am the one, to take a few minutes today that can turn into the joy of being together this coming weekend. This is the bulb I’m planting today. I’m happy in the current moment action of connecting from afar, and also in the anticipation of close contact in a few days. Never mind the good fortune of having good friends, and reliable restaurants, and the means to enjoy it all. It’s good to notice, through your thoughts here, the triple joy of this. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, Margaret. I’m aware as I write how often these intentions to get together fall off the radar due to the rush of life. But what’s better than greeting good friends over table? The sense of knowing something about what might be available in that heart-to-heart meeting, and the nourishment at all levels that is possible.

Tank u for your sharing…I have the joy of reading you both at this moment and remembering to do what is good for me (a phrase that I have embrace …every time I remember or whenever I’m in stress) this brings me to the joy of celebrating life. My father’s 91st birthday … I myself fell the joy of life, of whatever comes to me today without any expectations. I have the privilege of take care of myself and others everyday at this moment. I’m grateful for all the gifts in life, the air that I breath, the sun, the water, my family, friends and everything that surrounds me….I do love to love and have the joy to live this life in its own terms …accepting or tolerating whatever the moment may be….thank u my friends for your light in my path…I can say that you are an important part of my journey ….thank u my darlings !!!

1 Like

Thank you for this beautiful reminder that life has more than “one side”. It echoes my recent retreat with the wonderful Christina Feldman and her encouragement to notice “the lovely” in the midst of our lives. I have taken on her resolve to appreciate the joy in the ordinary … and it makes me smile! The seeds of joy are planted by the mystery of life and the people, places and practices that you happen to meet … if you are really there to meet them. If anyone is interested, Christina’s book Boundless Heart has been inspirational for me. Thank you Lynn for initiating this reflection.

1 Like

HI Lynn,

I happen to come across this while I was checking my email. What a beautiful way to stay fully present amidst the turmoil and chaos and “plant” some joy. I have been cooking for my family. My mind is fully set on the task, cutting, cleaning, chopping, mixing, and preparing. No matter the taste or how it comes out, I relish in the joy, this pleasure of creating in this moment.

Be well,

Lisa

Dear Jose–It is soooo lovely to hear your “voice” here… thank you for responding. Much warmth to you. Love from Spain, where I am teaching now…

Lynn

Hello Lisa, Nice to hear you here… in nourishing and nurturing others, we touch something fundamental to being human: This connection, this offering. May your family be well nourished by your intentions–and the gift of your cooking!

Warmth-- Lynn

Dear Lyn,
Reading your post today has been like being touched by a blow of warm wind in this first day of winter.
I can imagine you planting all those bulbs, 150 !!!
Puting so much work, energy and effort, being aware of difficult circumstances for them to flourish…and at the same time , trusting out of joy on "tendernes, possibilty,wonder and warmth."
Thank you for reminding me the power of our choice to plant seeds of joy ,no matter how cloudy and hard the circumstances may be.I can feel lots of strenght in your words.
It has been great to know that you have been in Spain leading the Fundamentals with Ana ,Carola and Beatriz.
Lots of love and Merry Christmas to you back home.
Ana Lara
PS Just being curious on how many of your bulbs did flourish ??

Dear Ana Lara, How lovely to hear from you–and also remember when we connected in Ireland over so many serendipities–including Carola! It was a very beautiful time…

Alas–as to your final question: I won’t know until spring! But this is a good reminder to maybe see if there’s a follow-up blog post come April and May…

New Year wishes for health and a glad heart to you…

Love, Lynn

Dear Lyn,
Yes indeed, Ireland was a very special time.
I am so grateful to you, Ann and her team, as well as to everyone in the group that shared the PTI training. There was so much learning and lots of discoveries!

Of course looking forward to your spring post about the blossoming of the bulbs in your garden …

Thank you for your good wishes.Also my best wishes to you for 2018, for love, joy and health and plenitude in your life.

Love
Ana Lara

Obtener Outlook para Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36