Question about applying for practicum

Hello!

I am interested in applying for the practicum offered in January (Norwood, MA). I understand that as a pre-requisite, I must have attended the 8 wk MBSR course and at least one silent retreat. I have taken the MBSR course, and I am registered to attend a silent retreat before the practicum begins in January. However, I will not have attended the retreat prior to the October 1st application deadline. Can I still apply? Will my application be considered?

Many thanks,
Kristen

Hello, Kristen,

Thank you for your question. Please do apply, and in the space where you are asked about your retreat experience, you can explain exactly as you have done here, that you are scheduled to have completed your retreat by the beginning of the practicum in January. Provide the scheduled end date in your application. The Oasis team will likely be in contact with you to confirm completion after that date.

All the best,
Margaret

Hi Margaret,
Would I be able to attend the Practicum in January if I’m registered for a 5-day silent retreat in February? So the Practicum would come before the retreat, but I could send in proof of registration.
Thanks,
Jessica :)

Hello, Jessica,

Thank you for the question. We do ask that people have the experience of multiple-day silent retreat prior to attending the Practicum.

All the best,
Margaret

Margaret,
Thank you for answering my question. I’ll complete the silent retreat in February so I may take the 9 day Practicum in NY in July. How and when can I register for that Practicum? I’ve heard it fills up fast and I don’t want to miss it.
Thanks,
Jessica :)

Hi, Jessica,

Here is a response from Eowyn, where she speaks about this keeping track of when to register. I can’t say when a particular training will open up for registration. As long as you receive our emails and register before the event deadline, you will be given all due consideration for inclusion. Here’s what Eowyn said about all of this:

Hi Margaret,

I have applied for the 9-day practicum offered in February 22 - March 2, 2016 (Ireland). I was wondering what’s the time frame that we will be notified of the outcome of our application.

Many thanks!

With regards,
Eric

Hi Margaret!

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it! I applied to the practicum in January 2016 (Norwood, MA). Is there a particular date by which applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications?

Many thanks!
Kristen

Kristen, I am not sure about that. I was under the impression that Oasis would send you some kind of notification when you submit an application, letting you know what the deadline is and when after that you would hear back. Can you check any communication you have received from Oasis and see if that information was there?

All the best,
Margaret

I have the same question as Kristen. I applied for the practicum in January 2016 and have not heard any communication from Oasis. Registration closed October 1st, and in the email I received from Oasis confirming receipt of my application, there was no indication of the date we would hear back. I sent an email a few days ago to the Oasis email address but have not yet received a response.

Thank you!
Rachel

I have the same questions as others regarding notification of acceptance to the January Norwood practicum. I did receive an email that they received my application but there was no information regarding when or how we would be notified of acceptance or non acceptance. Thank you to others who has also asked! Take care. Patti

Hello, friends,

Thank you for your inquiries, and your patience in the time it’s taken for me to get back to you. And for your same patience with the Oasis process. I wonder if you’ve heard back yet? We must deliberately leave the timeframes somewhat vague, because we never know how many applicants will arrive on our doorstep, and thus how long it will take for us to review them. We have a limited staff capacity for handling this work. This obviously leaves applicants in a form of not-knowing that can be difficult to wait through. We want to properly honor all those who apply. How are things with this, now?

All the best,
Margaret

Margaret,

Thank you for your response! I have not heard back yet, but I understand the factors contributing to the waiting process.

Gratefully,
Rachel

Dear Margaret, thank you for your reply. I did receive a receipt regarding my application for the practicum on 8/24 but have not heard anything since. I understand reasons for the delay but the concerns are related to needing to make work and transportation arrangements which can’t be done at the least minute. Also there are other practicums coming up and I am wondering if I should apply to one of those as this may mean I am not accepted at this one. Any advise would be appreciated. I am very committed to attending a practicum. Thank you! Patti

I have reached out to someone closer to the Oasis process here at the Center for Mindfulness, and will bring back a response as soon as I can. Thanks, Margaret

Dear Margaret, thank you so much for your caring and time! Patti

1 Like

Hi, Patti and Rachel,

I just checked in with Oasis. They recognize that they had communicated to January 2016 applicants that they would have answers out by October. There have been some insurmountable barriers to that, unfortunately. They will have the answers soon. We appreciate your patience with us during this delay.

Margaret

Hi,
I suppose you received the acceptation this afternoon, as I did.
If so, and if you’d already paid, do you know what are the next step?
Do we book the room at Sheraton ourselves? Is there any negotiated price? What about the lunch and diner?
Any more informations would be appreciated!
All the best
Sonia

Hi Sonia,

Yes, I did receive the notice of acceptance. I, too, am wondering about booking the room at the Sheraton and anticipating what time we need to arrive and leave (so we can book plane tickets). Did you receive a schedule of the training? After I submitted my payment there was no further information.

Thank you!
Rachel