Mindfulness in the news

It has the billion dollar market value. Only in America. The VA and DOD has millions being spent on PTSD and has iPhone app mindfulness coach. Be careful if you ask at VA hospital about anything about mindfulness. South Carolina has 8 week class at MUSC in Charleston. Community is still unaware of this knowledge and practice. Personally I have been involved for years but would love to find others involved. Mindfulness and meditation learning behind Dr Kabit-Zinn has turned my life to peace and joy.

Jupiter Medical Center opens 'mindfulness center’

A friend of mine forwarded this article to me, and it was no surprise.

I have mixed feelings about mindfulness being all the rage-for many reasons, not the least of which is concern that it will ultimately be seen or dismissed in a general way as a fad or not really having the potential it has. I appreciate that we are trained to not make promises and say, ‘Try it for yourself and see what happens.’

A meta-analysis study has just been published by Willem Kuyken, PhD and colleagues in JAMA Psychiatry – “Efficacy of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy in Prevention of Depressive Relapse: An Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis From Randomized Trials”.

Particularly interesting is the duration of the effect, “A 2-stage random effects approach showed that patients receiving MBCT had a reduced risk of depressive relapse within a 60-week follow-up period compared with those who did not receive MBCT.”

The TED Radio Hour: Can Mindfulness Help You Quit Smoking?

CFM Director of Research Judson Brewer, MD, PhD, describes how patients who practice simple mindfulness techniques can kick unhealthy habits.

Breaking bad habits: Mindful addiction recovery - Aljazeera 'The Cure’
In this 13 min piece from the Aljazeera series ‘The Cure’, we find out from the CFM’s Director of Research, Judson Brewer, MD, PhD, how mindfulness is being used to treat a wide range of addictions.

fMRI bug may affect validity of over 40,000 brain research papers:

While I posted this in the Living Room forum, thought it important to post here, what could be bad news for mindfulness research, in a recent alert from www.sciencealert.com .
Hoping to hear from neuroscientists their call on whether this is truly as bad as it sounds.

How concerned should we be on this?

Hi, Kenneth. As I mentioned on the other thread, I’m reaching out to our experts here at the Center for Mindfulness. I don’t see it as a reason to be overly worried, however, for many reasons. This is just one means of measurement, and not the only one in use, when it comes to neurological studies of the brain in contemplative practice. I’m actually rather pleased that this affords the opportunity to improve the rigor of future studies and replication efforts – it can only help us to be more accurate in our growing understanding.

1 Like

Sorry I posted redundantly, and thanks for this reply also. I am not worried now… :} Thank you.

The Trouble with Mindfulness Apps

CFM’s Director of Research, Judson Brewer MD, PhD and Zindel Segal, PhD, C.Psych., discuss the pros and cons of mindfulness apps in this mindful.org article by Stephany Tlalka.

1 Like

Hey! We want the traffic from here to go through our News page first! 8^)

1 Like

I figured–but there was no link to the article itself, just to your news page http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/news/2016/August/the-trouble-with-mindfulness-apps/
But I am happy to delete my post…

You’re right, Gus! I forgot to link our news article to the actual Mindful article. I fixed. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like

Role of HR in Promoting mindfulness
This is an interesting article on the role of HR in promoting mindfulness from Australia: http://www.hcamag.com/hr-news/how-can-hr-promote-mindfulness-among-employees-217223.aspx

Huffington Post Blog by Dr. Judson Brewer:

1 Like

How to Master the art of Mindfulness- Karen Asp, deliciousliving.com

In this article from deliciousliving.com, Karen Asp discusses the benefits of becoming mindful with Dr. Judson Brewer, MD, PhD., and gaining control over your life when it comes to food.

Mindful Eating App, Program Helps Curb Snacking

Emily Riemer, reporter for WCVB TV in Boston, visits the CFM and reports on the Eat Right NowTM app and the Mindful Eating program begun this year by Dr. Brewer. (video)

1 Like

Worcester Business Journal Online, Health profile: Dr. Judson Brewer

Laura Finaldi interviews Dr. Brewer about his meditation practice, mindfulness, and how both can help treating patients.

1 Like