Mindfulness in the news

fMRI bug may affect validity of over 40,000 brain research papers:

While I posted this in the Living Room forum, thought it important to post here, what could be bad news for mindfulness research, in a recent alert from www.sciencealert.com .
Hoping to hear from neuroscientists their call on whether this is truly as bad as it sounds.

How concerned should we be on this?

Hi, Kenneth. As I mentioned on the other thread, I’m reaching out to our experts here at the Center for Mindfulness. I don’t see it as a reason to be overly worried, however, for many reasons. This is just one means of measurement, and not the only one in use, when it comes to neurological studies of the brain in contemplative practice. I’m actually rather pleased that this affords the opportunity to improve the rigor of future studies and replication efforts – it can only help us to be more accurate in our growing understanding.

1 Like

Sorry I posted redundantly, and thanks for this reply also. I am not worried now… :} Thank you.

The Trouble with Mindfulness Apps

CFM’s Director of Research, Judson Brewer MD, PhD and Zindel Segal, PhD, C.Psych., discuss the pros and cons of mindfulness apps in this mindful.org article by Stephany Tlalka.

1 Like

Hey! We want the traffic from here to go through our News page first! 8^)

1 Like

I figured–but there was no link to the article itself, just to your news page http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/news/2016/August/the-trouble-with-mindfulness-apps/
But I am happy to delete my post…

You’re right, Gus! I forgot to link our news article to the actual Mindful article. I fixed. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like

Role of HR in Promoting mindfulness
This is an interesting article on the role of HR in promoting mindfulness from Australia: http://www.hcamag.com/hr-news/how-can-hr-promote-mindfulness-among-employees-217223.aspx

Huffington Post Blog by Dr. Judson Brewer:

1 Like

How to Master the art of Mindfulness- Karen Asp, deliciousliving.com

In this article from deliciousliving.com, Karen Asp discusses the benefits of becoming mindful with Dr. Judson Brewer, MD, PhD., and gaining control over your life when it comes to food.

Mindful Eating App, Program Helps Curb Snacking

Emily Riemer, reporter for WCVB TV in Boston, visits the CFM and reports on the Eat Right NowTM app and the Mindful Eating program begun this year by Dr. Brewer. (video)

1 Like

Worcester Business Journal Online, Health profile: Dr. Judson Brewer

Laura Finaldi interviews Dr. Brewer about his meditation practice, mindfulness, and how both can help treating patients.

1 Like

Dr Judson Brewer on the 10% Happier Podcast with Dan Harris - Using Mindfulness to Beat Addiction -
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/61-dr-judson-brewer-using-mindfulness-to-beat-addiction/id1087147821?i=1000381235048&mt=2

1 Like

The Warrior Podcast: The Neuroscience of Mindfulness and Experiencing Flow with Judson Brewer
On this episode of the podcast, host Tony Balbin and Dr. Brewer discuss mindfulness, the flow state, the brain, the Default Mode Network and more…

1 Like

Craving Freedom - Charlotte Lieberman reviews The Craving Mind by Judson Brewer, MD, PhD, on the Garrison Institute blog.

2 Likes

Off the hook - how to have a better relationship with your smart phone - Judson Brewer on the ‘All in the Mind’ podcast.

From the website: “Life seems to be moving at an ever increasing pace, and your digital device might be in the driver’s seat. It’s often the first thing you check in the morning and the last thing before sleep. Your mind may crave mobile phone use, in the same way that it can crave cigarettes or food. The reward is a spritz of dopamine in your brain. We learn how to renegotiate your relationship with your smart phone.”

National Geographic Magazine, September 2017: How Science Is Unlocking the Secrets of Addiction

In this in-depth article, Dr. Brewer is quoted on treatment of addiction through a combination of modern science and ancient contemplative practice.

1 Like

mindful.org: 10 Mindfulness Researchers You Should Know
"Key insights from leading researchers spotlight what we know, what we don’t know, and what the future holds for the science of mindfulness."