Frequently Asked Questions

How can I search for content and user profiles?

• Click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the screen:

• As you type your search query results will continue to update

• Click on any results of interest

• If you’re reading a topic and would like to restrict your search to look only within the current conversation, click the check box

• To see additional matches, click on the Show More arrow at the bottom of the search results.

How can I change which emails I receive?

Follow these instructions to access your preferences, then scroll down to the Email section:

Be sure to click Save Changes when you’re finished.

How do I access a private room?

Access to a few parts of cfmHOME is limited to existing members of certain groups (such as MBSR Teachers).

• If you have an Access Code for a particular room, you may redeem it at any time to unlock ongoing access to the room. To do this, sign in to your account then click the link in your user menu in the upper right corner of your screen

• If have an access code, but don’t already have a cfmHOME account, follow these instructions to sign up and enter your access code when prompted during the sign up.

• Once you’ve redeemed your access code (you only need to do this one time), make sure you’re signed in, then visit the categories page and scroll down until you see your private room.

• If don’t have a code but would like to request access to a private room, please visit https://www.cfmhome.org, sign into your account (or sign up for an account), scroll down until you see the room of interest, then click on the “Request Access” button

• You’ll then see a popup with an opportunity to make your access request; you’ll be notified by email if your request is approved, generally within 24-48 hours. If for some reason your request isn’t approved promptly, please feel free to submit another request or contact us for assistance.

1 Like

How do I reply to a post?

• To reply to the overall topic, use the Reply button at the very bottom of the page.

• To reply to a specific post, use the Reply button on that post.

• To take the conversation in a different direction, but keep them linked together, use Reply as linked Topic at the top right of the post.

• To quote someone in your reply, select the text you wish to quote, then press any Reply button.

• To ping someone in your reply, mention their name. Type @ and an autocompleter will pop up.

• For standard Emoji, just start typing : or the traditional smileys :) :smile:

Please see the Discourse Intro for a quick guide to more of the discussion forum’s basic actions and features.

How do I start a new conversation topic?

• To start a brand-new topic, click the [New Topic] button at the top right of any category (categories are the colored boxes such as “Welcome”)

• then enter a descriptive title and (optionally) choose an appropriate sub-category.

• Once you’ve finished writing your new post, click the blue [New Topic] button to publish it:

• To start a new topic that’s related to the current discussion (but takes the conversation in a different direction), click on the [Reply as linked Topic] link which appears at the top right of a post when hovering over it:

• Finally, we might also suggest first trying the search feature to see if a similar topic already exists to which you might want to add.

How do I mention another member in a post?

While composing a post or message, type a @ and pause for a moment and you will see a popup list of community members. Start typing the first few letters of the person’s username and then press enter. A reference to that person’s profile will be inserted into the post and that user will receive a notification of the mention the next time he or she signs in (and possibly by email, depending on the user’s preferences).

How can I send a private message?

Click on a member’s picture or initial icon and a popup will appear with information about that person, including a button to send a Private Message.

When and where will I receive notifications?

Keep an eye on the notification icon in the upper right corner of the site. When someone replies to your post, quotes your post, or mentions your @username, a number will immediately appear at the top right of the page.

Click on it to access your notifications:

about private messages, replies to my posts, and other events?

How do I like, share, flag, or bookmark a post?

There are action buttons at the bottom of each post.

To let someone know that you enjoyed their post, use the heart-shaped like button. You can also share a link to a post (using the chain-shaped icon). If you see a problem with a post, you can let the moderators know about it with the flag button, or reach out privately to the person who posted. You may also bookmark a post for later reference on your User Page.

To learn more about the discussion forum’s basic actions and features, please see the Discourse Intro.

How can I get a larger area for composing topics and replies?

The editing window is vertically expandable, by clicking on this “handle” at the top of the window

and horizontally expandable by clicking the “hide preview” link at the bottom right.

How do I sign up for a cfmHOME account?

• Visit our sign up page.

• Choose one of the sign-up methods: Facebook or email address

• If you choose Facebook authentication (which saves you from typing in your personal details and having to manage a new password for cfmHOME), then simply click [Okay] when asked to permit cfmHOME to access your profile. (Please note that this does not permit us to post anything to your profile or timeline).

• Enter and verify your user information:

• If you happen to have an optional access code, be sure to redeem it now:

• Read and accept the terms of service:

• Click the [Sign Up] button and then check your email inbox for the Account Activation message that we just sent you. If you don’t receive this email within a few minutes, follow this link to re-send it.

• In the email, click the [Activate Account] button:

• You’ll then be automatically signed in and taken to the welcome page.

• Congratulations, your account is now ready to use!

• Now, just click one of the links to visit the Community and participate in the discussion. Welcome aboard!

How can I update the information shown in my public profile?

When a user’s small profile photo is clicked, a “user card” will pop up with information about that person (and the opportunity to send her or him a private message).

If you’d like to add information to your user card (e.g. a short biographical sketch), you can follow these instructions to access your preferences , and then add text to the “About me” section or upload a file to the “User Card Background” section.

How can I follow the activity in a particular category or topic?

• To get notified about activity within an entire category, click on this button in the upper right corner of a category’s topic list:

• To follow or unfollow an individual topic, click on this button at the bottom of a topic:

What is the user menu and how do I open it?

• The user menu allows you to sign out, access your account settings, and redeem access codes.

• To open the menu, point to or click on your username in the upper right of the page:

• To open the menu while using a device with a smaller screen, just click on the menu icon in the upper right:

How do I update my account settings (e.g. name, username, or email address)?

• Open the user menu in the upper right of your screen

• Click on [Account Settings]

• Be sure to click on the [Update] button if you make any changes

How do I change my password?

• Follow these instructions to access your Account Settings

• Click on the [Change Password] link

How do I sign in with Facebook?

• Linking your your Facebook account allows you sign in to cfmHOME without typing in a password or email address

• To set this up, first follow these instructions to access your Account Settings

• Click on [Link Facebook Account]

• You will be taken to Facebook and may need to sign in there.

• Click [Okay] to allow cfmHOME to see your profile info

• Please note we will never post anything to your Facebook account without your permission

General troubleshooting tips

• with a different device (e.g. a friend’s computer or a smartphone ),
  • with a different browser on the same computer,
  • with a private browsing mode.
  • If none of these approaches succeed, please contact us and in your email let us know the following information and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
  • what specific error messages did you encounter (the exact text of the error message or a screenshot is extremely helpful).
  • which browser/type of computer/device were you using. (You can find this out by visiting this helpful page).
  • which solutions you’ve already attempted

Which desktop browsers and mobile devices are supported?

cfmHOME supports these modern desktop/laptop browsers:

• Internet Explorer 10+
  • Google Chrome 24+
  • Firefox 14+
  • Safari 5.1+

We also support the following tablets, smartphones, and mobile platforms:

• Mobile Safari on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch with iOS 6+
  • Mobile Chrome on Android 4.1+
  • Mobile IE on Windows Phone 8 or later

To check and upgrade your browser version, please visit this helpful site.

Please contact us for help with any issues regarding browser compability.

How do I make changes to something I’ve posted?

• To edit the content of a one of your topics or replies, click on the pen icon at the bottom of the content, then the blue [Save Edit] button (or cancel link)

• To change the title or category of a topic you’ve created, click the pen icon near the title of the topic

• Click the blue checkbox button to save your changes or the [x] to cancel