Welcome from the Moderator

Continuing the discussion from About the OASIS Institute category:

Welcome to the Oasis Institute at cfmHome.

I’m an MBSR Instructor at the CFM, which means I’ve been through Oasis training. I’m here in the role of moderator to answer your questions, especially those that are still with you after you’ve read the FAQs and other information provided on our website.

The Oasis training pathway is a multi-phase process, requiring time, deep commitment and much practice. If you are contemplating whether Oasis training is right for you, or if you have questions or concerns along the way, please be in touch.

I also encourage you to seek the wisdom of the larger Oasis community through conversations with your peers here in cfmHome Oasis. People from all over the world train with us. If you have questions about the experience of being an Oasis student, the community of cfmHome Oasis can be wonderful resource and support.

Lastly, please remember to follow our community guidelines, which apply throughout cfmHome.

Thanks and enjoy this wonderful resource!

7 Likes

I am new to the community so not sure if this the right place to ask questions I would otherwise have asked in an email. Anyway, I have two questions:

I plan to do a 7 day silent meditation retreat with Anam Thubten and Elizabeth Mattis Namgyel at Crestone, CO in October. Will these teachers be acceptable for my first retreat for training to be an MBSR teacher? http://www.dharmaocean.org/event/anam-thubten/

I am confused about the requirements to teach the 8 week MBSR course. Is the course MBSR in Mind-Body Medicine required or optional? If it makes a difference, I am an LCSW.

Thank you for your guidance and responses to my questions.

Sandra

Hi Eowyn,

Thank you for your kind welcome.

I am currently teaching MBSR with Dr. Vanee Songsiridej MD in La Crosse Wisconsin. We have completed co teaching an 8 week class and continue to offer half day and all day retreats in our area. I have attended the Mind Body Medicine retreat with John and Saki last year at Mt. Madonna. It was a wonderful experience and I continue to be nourished by it as I listen to the downloads from the retreat to sustain my practice.

I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this community and the support it can provide in my development as a teacher and student of awareness itself.
Marty

You are welcome! I believe I have met Vanee! It’s great that you have a mentor and I am glad you are enjoying the training thus far. Would love to hear more about your work in La Crosse.

Thank you for this opportunity, Eowyn. Does this Insight retreat qualify as a silent, 7-day teacher-led retreat required for the Oasis training pathway?

http://www.dharma.org/meditation-retreats/retreat-center/retreat-description?id=386

Thank you for clarifying.
Best,
Carol

Yes, Carol, generally speaking, all silent IMS retreats 5 days or longer qualify.

Hi Eowyn,
Thank you for the introduction. We are at the very beginning of the process of starting the training process. Going to do the first five day intensive in MA in January and it also said to do the online class as part of the first criteria. However, when I emailed UMASS they said I didn’t have to do the online MBSR component. Is that the case? Thanks so much for the clarification.
Warmly,
Jennifer

Hi, so sorry, lots of questions. I am confused…I do not have the prerequisite first five day practicum but it also looks like I could do the full nine days in January to start the process — is that right? Again, I’m sorry as I am struggling to navigate this and want to be sure to do it right. I was planning on doing the online course and then the five day retreat in January…but if I can just do the full nine day retreat in January that would, of course, be my preference. Thank you so much for your time.
Warmly,
Shawn

Hi. I am wondering if anyone knows of a 5 or 7 day silent retreat in the Montreal/New England area?
Thank you!
Leah

I have a similar question to that of Jennifer, posted 11 days ago, with no response yet.

I had a question about fulfilling the course requirements for the MBSR teacher certification program. After completion of the 8 week MBSR course online, I will need to take a 5 day Mindfulness Tools Program, then the 9 day Practicum in MBSR. I see that I cannot simply take the Practicum which has the Mindfulness Tools Program embedded in it, but must take a stand-alone Tools Program as a prerequisite to the Practicum, i.e. must effectively take “Tools” twice. Is this correct?

Assuming this is correct, am I able to take the stand-alone 5 day portion of Tools even if it is offered as part of a Practicum? For instance, the next Tools program offered in New England is part of the January 3-12 Practicum in Norwood, MA. I could register for the January 3-8 Tools portion of the Practicum, then might take the next full Practicum at Omega in July?

Also, I see that the registration deadline for the January Tools is October 1st (and may be full before then); can I register for Tools if I am still in the process of completing the online 8 week MBSR course, have not completed it but will complete it prior January?

Thanks for clarifying. This is confusing…

Hi Tim, Yes, you are correct. Yes, you can register for a 5 Mindfulness
Tools that is also part of a 9 day Practicum (though the first time you
will only attend the 5 days). And yes, you can sign up for the 5 Day
Mindfulness Tools while you are still taking the online 8 week. Hope this
clarifies! Please be in touch if you have further questions. Kindly, Eowyn

Apologies for the slow reply, Shawn, somehow I missed your post, until another user mentoned it in a similar question below. Please take a look at the answer to Tim’s question in this thread - I think it will clear these questions up for you. If not, please be in touch again.

There doesn’t seem to be a way to sign up for the Mindful Tools workshop that is embedded in the Practicum, only the online application for the Practicum. I filled out the application for the Practicum, trying to use some of the fill-in spaces to explain that I was only trying to sign up for the 4 day Tools portion, and sent my application in with the $50 deposit. Hopefully that will at least get it looked at and someone will call or email me with any additional steps I need to take. Since you no longer accept questions by phone or email, this is the best I thought I could do.

By way of constructive feedback, I’d suggest some way to register for this workshop on your website, with more clarification around how to register for the embedded program. Also, your website still suggests that people email with questions, then you just get a reply email directing you to this forum. There’s even a phone number contact listed, which by recording suggests you send an email, which then generates the automatic reply, etc. You still have a few bugs to work out.

Greetings!

Can anyone recommend an MBSR 8 week in the Orange County/Los Angeles area? Preferably one with CE credits that apply towards the Oasis CFM certified MBSR teacher training pathway…

Much appreciated!

P.S. Will i be notified via email with a direct response to my question/comment (tagged reply) or is it best to check this thread periodically? Thanks again.

You will get an email, like the one this message generates. Let us know if
that doesn’t happen!

On the pathway page it states there are two pathways one to teach MBSR and one to become a certified teacher for MBSR. I am trying to find out what the differences are between the two in terms of what you are allowed to do once you complete the training pathways. Can you clarify this?
Also for the pathway that is not a certification to teach, can you clarify that what is needed is the 8 week course and the tools? Are there any other qualifications needed?

To begin teaching 8-week MBSR classes you need to complete the following:

1. 8-week MBSR Class as a participant;
  2. At least 2 silent, teacher led retreats of at least five days length;
  3. Practicum in MBSR (8 week or 9 day format);
  4. Teacher Development Intensive

To become certified, there are several additional steps, which are detailed on the website.

Hi,
Could you tell me when registration will open for the summer 2016 5-day intensive followed by the practicum? This is in the Northeast.
Thanks so much,
Traci

hi there! i was wondering if the silent retreat led by Kamala Masters, Sally Armstrong at Spirit Rock called Equanimity Retreat: Seeing the World with Quiet Eyes, is an acceptable one for qualifying for as a prerequisite for teacher training.
also, did you enjoy your training? did you go on to teach right away?
thank you!
annie